tillandsia or sedum?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by 2ofus, Mar 23, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

This was given to me for Christmas. No name or tag. The planter has a magnet in the back side and it is made to hang on your refrigerator. It doesn't seem to have any soil just moss and I did not see any roots but there is kind of an enlarged round bottom on the plant. I've looked at hundreds of tillandsia's and none seem to look just like it but I do know that it was purchased at a large discount store. If it is a tillandsia, does anyone know the name? I've just been putting a couple of teaspoons of water in the little pot every 10 days or so.
    med pic..JPG

2. Loading...

3. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

It doesn't look like any sedum I have ever seen.its pretty

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It is probably a Tillandsia, they live on air not soil or water. There are around 700 species of Tillandsia so getting a ID might be problematic unless you have the growers name.

Usually spraying with water once a week is all most of them need, but you can also submerge and soak in water once a week to keep it going if it isn't in a closed environment......i.e. closed terrarium as opposed to an open pot like yours.

5. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Hi, definitely not a tillandsia,
    it looks to me like a haworthia.

purpleinopp likes this.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thank you, Chocolate! I found a picture online that looks just like mine. You probably saved it's life. I'll get him out of that little pot, that has no drainage holes, and into some cactus soil. There's only a few flakes of soil on it's roots, just some moss. It's a wonder that it hasn't died already.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

That would explain why the one I had a few years ago didn't survive, wrong label. :confused:

8. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It is very pretty....I am glad you found out what it is so you can take care of it. I think quite a few plant labels get switched because they fall out and someone just sticks it in an empty pot. One year we bought (so we thought) three different colors of Lilac bushes. It ended up being only two colors.:flower: