Today we had a dance contest.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Tooty2shoes, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well this turn out really surprised us. We counted 28 birds in all and with the females being present the boy's went nuts and decided to strut their stuff. One of the males even did a little stomp dance when a young male made him mad. The pic of the lone male is the one doing the stomp dance. I will have to learn how to take a video with my camera. It was such fun to watch them strutting their stuff. DSCN6625.JPG DSCN6632.JPG DSCN6618.JPG DSCN6630.JPG

Frank and eileen like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

That is quite a show.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh I wouldn't be able to tear myself away from those turkeys. The lone one really does look angry doesn't he? I wonder if they'll nest in your area and bring their youngsters to visit - I do hope so.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Kildale yes it was. They sure do love to strut their stuff.

Advertisement
  6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Eileen one thing we have never found is a turkey nest on our 8 acres. I think it is because as we do have trees we do not have a lot of understory for them to hide in. But I sure would love to have those cute little ones visit our yard. In late August and early Sept. we do see the hens walking through our pasture area with the wee little ones following. Often the only way we know that they are there is because the tall grasses wiggle as they walk through.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

So neat to see so many of them...thanks for sharing. It makes me feel guilty thinking about a nice hot turkey dinner.

Tooty2shoes and Frank like this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Sherry I love a good turkey dinner myself. But these birds would be so tough you would have to cook them for a week.:chuckle: Our next door neighbors son goes turkey hunting and has to cook that bird almost all day before they can eat it.
    I love seeing the beautiful colors their feather turn in the sun. From copper to a shimmering green.