Tomato problem - black holes and leaves turning brown

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by LaceyAnne, Jul 19, 2009.

1. LaceyAnne

LaceyAnne New Seed

I am unsure of my tomato plant problem. My leaves and stems started with yellow spots. They turned to brown then wilted and started to fall off. My tomatoes have cracking and these dark discolored holes. I was thinking I have blight, but am unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is only my second year of vegetable gardening. I just hope I can save my tomatoes. I am new to this site and again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have added some pictures and hope they are helpful. Thanks.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from LaceyAnne's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Looks like a fungus...That happened to me last summer...Cut off all the affected leaves...and get some fungicide at your local garden center...You spray it on. I have one that you dilute and then spray then the plant is dry.

4. lilypotter

lilypotter New Seed

you can go for fungicide. However use natural or organic herbicides or fungicides. Since the purpose of these products is to kill pests, you can bet that many of them have ingredients in them that are also harmful to humans. For example, the active ingredient in Round-Up—a weed-killer popular with gardeners—is known to cause kidney damage and reproductive harm in mice. And cypermethrin, one of the active ingredients in the popular ant and roach-killer Raid, is a known eye, skin and respiratory irritant and has negative effects on the central nervous system. Read more about chemical fertilizers here.What do you think?

5. LaceyAnne

LaceyAnne New Seed

Thanks for the help. I to thought it may be a fungus, but the holes in the tomatoes made me unsure. I could not find any pictures that looked like those. And I will use an organic or natural solution. I do not use any type of chemicals in my garden. That is one of the main reasons I have a garden.

Advertisement
  6. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

The fungicide I use is all natural..smells like oranges...I get it at walmart....

7. LadyLordess

LadyLordess New Seed

My Tomato plant leaves started to look exactly like this in a garden in Michigan. (it has been cooler here as far as summer is concerened) 07/19/2009 my tomato plants leaves started to look like this and a few of the tomatoes had pencil eraser sized black holes. I noticed a massive amount of tiny white flies that flew around when I went to water. The flies are in the grass and all of the impatiens beds as well. I don't know if the flying bugs are causing this or if it is a fungus, however this is what I did with the tomatoes and impatiens & now the plants are doing well. The Impatiens look a little sick after you spray them, but they will start to come back.

I pinched off and removed all the bad leaves, then I mixed: 2 gallons of water, 1 Bulb of Garlic (put it in a blender with 1/2 cup of water and then strained it) and 1/2 cup of Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds (a mild, concentrated biodegradable cleaner). I sprayed this with a 2 gallon sprayer and coated the underside as well.

I sprayed the plants, then again 3 days later. They look better now, but will spray again in 2 or 3 days (after it stops raining here).

Good Luck!!!

8. LaceyAnne

LaceyAnne New Seed

Thanks for the tip maybe I'll give it a try. I pinched off the leaves and picked off the bad tomatoes and it seems to be doing better.I'll have to see what happens the nest few days.