Tomato Update 2 - Trellis

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Jul 16, 2016.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

An update from - Tomato Update 1 - Sacrifice!

The tomatoes are getting taller and is in need of support so I had drop the twine and provide them with supports. The height is about 6 feet high and keeping mine fingers crossed they would reach that height. They are very healthy and growing well. :)

[​IMG]
    Cherry Tomato ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

The "Small" ones are still OK. Maybe give it about another week.

[​IMG]
    Cherry Tomato ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

One of the tomato plant is starting to branch out and I have no idea what to do with it! Help!!!

stratsmom and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, that does not look like a sucker just a tomato producing branch so I would leave it alone till it gets taller and then tie it up with the main stems. If you see a sucker ( that is a branch coming from the V in a branch and the stem),, you can cut them and put it in water till it forms roots for additional plants. Each plant should have several branches like this as they grow.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sjoerd can give you a helping hand with your tomatoes KK. Try starting a conversation with him and I'm sure you'll find he has a vast store of information that will help you out.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hey the toms are already starting to flower.

[​IMG]
    First flower ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Tom flower ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

They are all starting to flower including the small ones. I wonder if it is a good sign or not. So far from my very little experience in planting tomatoes, they had never pass the 3 ft. mark. I can only say that it is the weather because no commercial growers plant tomatoes in the lowland, only in the highland where the temperatures are much lower. Anyway I'm happy that they are flowering.

Thanks Mart my thoughts were the same as yours. I had been removing the suckers as they grow. Sad to say my planting space is limited or else I would try to root the suckers for more plants like you suggest.

Eileen, Sjoerd had been very helpful in my tomatoes planting adventure. Thanks for the suggestion.

Carolyn I have no idea whether they are determinate tomatoes or indeterminate. I got the seeds from fruits which I was given to sample in an exhibition. Since they are of the cherry tomatoes variety, I think they are indeterminate which was what I gathered from google. :) Thank you for the link.

Frank likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Looking good !! Waiting to see the tomatoes !!

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Kk, I have no idea what you have looking at your picture. You have two trusses of flowers... one above the next. On an indeterminate you usually see a truss of flowers and then 3 new leaves (and suckers form, too) then another truss of flowers... alternating that pattern the whole way up the stem. no matter what.. happy eating!

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Mart :)

Carolyn do you mean that those are determinate? Sorry I have no idea at all.
    If they are determinate that means I don't prune them?
    Just went out to check it and at the moment only 1 plant had flower one above the next and it is the small plant. The big plants have a truss of flowers and then 3 new leaves then another truss of flowers the way you describe it. Looks like the big are indeterminate and the small are determinate. Thank you so much for pointing it out.

10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

For the determinate plants, I still have them supported with trellis because of the strong winds we are experiencing here at the moment. As for the suckers I'll leave those alone after the first set of flowers information which I got from google.

Now to wait for the tomatoes. :)

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very nice KK. Just imagine you are going to have bushels of tomatoes soon.....

12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Interesting :) :) I like the look of your trellis too.