Tomato Update 3 - First fruit

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Aug 5, 2016.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

An update from - http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/tomato-update-2-trellis.37449/

Fruits had started to form and I noticed the first one about a week ago ... happiness!!!

[​IMG]
    First tomato ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

By now there are quite a few fruits and I'm not counting ... something to do with "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched"

[​IMG]
    Tomatoes ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

All the plants are doing quite well and some had past the 3 feet mark except for one that had been quite 'funky' for awhile, like stunted. I left it alone and it is also fruiting.

This is getting exciting!

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am really happy for you KK--it has been a long road for yopu, but it looks like you are going to have some results this time. Those beds look really good, BTW.

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Looking really good KK! Your strategies are working :)

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Soon you'll be enjoying the taste of your first home grown tomatoes!!

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Your tomatoes are looking good. There is going to be nothing better than getting (and eating) your own tomatoes from your own garden. They are the BEST!

7. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you Sjoerd, yes it had been a long road for me indeed and this is the first time I am seeing my tomatoes plants passing the 3 feet mark with quite a fair bit of flowers on them. Those beds needs lots more work on the earth to keep the fertility up.

Thanks a million Frank, I have Garden Stew to thank for, the support and advice from all the Stewbies.

Yes Eileen, I have already plan that we will be having the tomatoes in a salad with feta cheese from the first harvest ... yum! Care to join me?

You are so right Islandlife. It's the BEST! Thanks.

Tooty2shoes and Frank like this.
  8. mart

mart Strong Ash

We had faith in you KK !! I knew you could do it !!

9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Mart, I'm still keeping all my fingers and toes crossed! :)

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

KK-hope you get lots of those little red yummys. Our tomatoes this year have been getting blossom end rot.:mad: We need to add more bone meal around the plants and water it in. But with as hot as it getting here. I will not be doing that and my honey is not a very active gardner. He thinks if it grows it grows if not oh well. :eek: That can be very frustrating.

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Tooty2shoes, they are suppose to be brown in colour :). Sorry to hear that your toms. It is also very hot here so I only do my gardening early in the morning or very late in the evening to avoid the heat and scorching sun. I can understand how you feel about your honey because sometimes some people made that kind of remark to me too.

Tooty2shoes and Islandlife like this.
  12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just do the foliar feed with epsom salts early morning or late evening. That should halt the BER for the future tomatoes. You can also work it into the soil around the stems before watering. Just a couple of TBSP per plant for blossom end rot.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  13. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

KK- thanks for the understanding note. Some people just seem to have a whatever will be, will be attitude about everything. Drives me up the wall so to speak.

Thanks so much Mart for the great info. I will sprinkle some around our tom's today as it is over cast. But our humidity levels are in the 70% range. I have also been spraying our Pepper plants with a week solution of Epsom salts in a hand held sprayer to give them a boost. I love using all those natural remedies in ones garden and home.

2ofus likes this.