Tomatoe sauce, green beans, broccoli

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by 2ofus, Aug 22, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

In the last 3 days I've put up 22 jars of seasoned tomato sauce, 23 jars of green Roma beans, and froze 19 bags of broccoli. I'm tired! It took all day Friday to run the tomatoes threw the Victorio strainer and cook the spiced sauce down where it formed a mound on a spoon. I was canning it at 10:00 at night! I can't believe the broccoli is still producing this late but I guess the weather has been mild enough that I keep getting nice heads. As long as they are putting out, I'll put them up!
    canning 001 (Small).JPG Using the Victorio strainer to remove skins and seeds

canning 003 (Small).JPG 2 Large bowls full
    2 large pans of sauce
    canning 005 (Small).JPG canning 004 (Small).JPG
    canning 007 (Small).JPG Spicing it up with chopped onions canning 009 (Small).JPG and minced garlic
    canning 010 (Small).JPG After hours of simmering it's thick enough to mound nicely
    tomatoes 001 (Small).JPG 28 1/2 pints and 2 pint jars of sauce. : )

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Looks FANTASTIC!

2ofus likes this.
  4. kate

kate In Flower

Take a bow 2ofus you definitely earned it. Those will taste so good over winter red hot soup....mmmm...and my favorite soup.

You must have been worn out.
    K

2ofus likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It looks great. broccoli was a pipe dream this year here... Over 90 for quite a while, like almost 2 months or more.. maybe I should go pop some seeds in the ground for the cole family... it is only supposed to be in the 80's this week with nice cool nights. Got to get that on my list for the week.

2ofus likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our tomatoes drowned--only got a few pints of marinara sauce. Spring broccoli did well and we are planning where to put the fall crop in. We will plant green beans for a fall crop and keep our fingers crossed--sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
    I'm so envious, and rather proud of you. You not only had a great garden, but you took full advantage of its bounty!

2ofus and Growingpains like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

That looks great! I am currently cooking down a big pot of tomatoes in the crock pot and it seems to be taking forever!
    Can I add all the spices and onion now before it gets canned?

2ofus likes this.
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I add onions and garlic, plus in some of them I also added oregano and basil, any spice that I normally in soups, stews, and some casseroles. I will caution you that my canning book did say adding 'small amounts' will not affect the canning process.

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Well, I'm done with canning tomatoes and sauce but the tomato plants are still producing. We took one big paper grocery bag to friends and one to the senior center. We'll pick the ripe ones in the greenhouse before we leave for Las Vegas for the grandkids to enjoy.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is good work, 2OF. Chapeau.
    You guys have been working hard there.

2ofus likes this.