Too early to plant Morning Glory seeds?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by gardennut, Apr 1, 2014.

1. gardennut

gardennut Seedling

Is it too early to plant Morning Glory seeds? I have 12 packs of Heavenly Blue, 1 pack of Flying Saucers, and 1 pack of Scarlett O'Hara. Which ones will sprout the quickest with just soaking? Also have Moonflower seeds too. When would be the best time to plant them? :)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it is too early yet. You need to wait until the ground warms up and we have frost free weather fore casted. Where are you? I think our frost date is May 15th but we always seem to have frost later than that. Last year we had a freeze at the end of May. BIG bummer!

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Moonflower vine seeds need soil temp of 70 degrees or warmer to germinate and won't grow and bloom until much warmer....at least that's been my experience down here. I don't even plant Morning Glory or Moonflower Vine seeds until May and our last frost date is March 17th.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm glad you started this thread Gardennut as I was wondering when I should plant my Morning Glory seeds. I think I'll have to wait quite a while before I do though as the weather here is still so cold.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I recommend every gardener invest in a soil thermometer. they are relatively inexpensive. Keep a log book of what temperature your soil needs to be for whatever you are planting. We never plant corn below 50f. We check the mix in the greenhouse while it is on the heat mat. Each seed has an ideal range for germination. It helps just to not waste your seeds, too. it is always disappointing when they rot instead of germinate because the soil was too cold. If you are doing compost you can get an extra long one to insert a little farther (although those are a little pricier) I don't garden with out one.