Took the day off work....ramblings of an frustrated gardener.....

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by fatbaldguy, Dec 9, 2016.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

I am taking my oldest living adjacent relatives to a Christmas Concert tonight in Columbus, Ohio. My treat. They are very excited. In the case of my widowed Aunt, her son lives 8 hours away in Muscatine, Iowa. In the case of my Uncle and Aunt, their children would never consider such an outing. Taking them to dinner beforehand too.

I have joined a gym! Great Googly Moogly. I have been a member a week and have been 4 times already. It is on the way home from work, so I change at work as a reminder to stop in. A bonus for paying a full year in advance is 2 free training sessions. The trainer tasked with me says I'm remarkably fit for an old fat man. Those are his exact words too. I was laughing through my gasping for air while being evaluated. I am not easily offended, though some find me offensive. I am rather weak feeling and slightly sore, in a good way though. Need to have my BMI at 24 or less by August. I'm a 29/30 now! The trainer says I shouldn't have any trouble getting there in the allotted time.

My bird feeders are very active today. We've had our first real cold snap/hard freeze. The house and gold finches, chickadee's, nuthatches, tufted tit-mice, mourning doves, cardinals, woodpeckers, and ubiquitous house sparrows are feeding with a frenzy. The occasional Sharp-shinned and Cooper's hawks make an occasional meal of the smaller birds at the feeders, but that is how life works.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good for you going to the gym. Before you know it that BMI will be down to 24 or even lower. :smt023

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

How nice of you to give your relatives an outing:smt059.
    Glad you are working out at the gym, and getting healthier. Goodness knows, we couldn't do without you here on the Stew!

5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I probably need to hit a gym too. I'm active but probably should be doing something regular. Good on you FatBaldGuy for taking the leap and buying a year long membership! :) :) Way to GO!!

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hey FBG, what's with the magical August date for your BMI? High school reunion? Daughter's wedding? Annual physical with a terror of a PCP (for you non USA lot, that's primary care physician.....I don't know what they are called elsewhere).....Somebody gave you an ultimatum?

Joking aside, good for you.
    And, glad you are enjoying those birdies.

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yay! Good for you for taking your relative out!

And well done on going to the gym. Hope you keep it up once the novelty wears of...and I say that from experience ;) It became a really hard slog for me after the new of it all went away. But then once you get through that period, it just becomes habit.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Cayuga, the deadline on the BMI has to do with the DOT (Federal Department of Transportation) physical that is due then. New rules for commercial drivers (safety theatre) could put me out of service for up to 4 months. Can't afford that you know.

Islandlife likes this.
  9. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Ronni, there is no choice in the gym thing. A habit only take 21 days to form. Unfortunately, it only takes three days to break it. :whistling:

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

FBG: good luck. I hope you are able to make it s habit.