Tornadoes and wind and rain, oh MY

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, Jan 16, 2017.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Last night was interesting to say the least. At least one tornado on the ground southwest of me, closer to me a couple of funnels went down and up between the ground and clouds a few times but never touched the ground so they were not actually tornadoes. Haven't heard the official number of tornadoes in the Dallas-Ft Worth area, right now the multiple reports are considered to be just one tornado seen and reported from different directions. We heard what sounded like pea sized hail hitting the truck in the driveway but didn't last long.

1.5 inches in the rain gauge this morning. After the rain stopped at one point last night the wind kicked into high gear, some nearby reports of 80+ mph steady wind. It was all above roof top to level while ground level was fairly calm but the wind made quite a loud roar up there.
    After the wind died away, the rain started again for a few minutes then the whole storm moved on to the north and east of us. There was quite a bit of damage in other locations, we got lucky.

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Goodness! Living in a tornado area does present a unsettling feeling when severe storms are present. Is this the start of the 'tornado season'? How long does it last?

Jerry

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jerry with our typical climate tornado season is year round. One of the worst tornadoes in the immediate area happened in Dec 1984. Further north there is a more defined tornado season because they actually have winter weather but down here we are open season year round.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, so happy you escaped damage and got beneficial rain. Hearing high winds is unsettling, but since they were high-up high winds, you probably weren't too worried.
    There were two tornado sightings northwest of us, about 50-60 miles away. The local TV stations were having a field day warning everyone, predicting torrents of rain, hail, and of course tornadoes. Each station was on for a full hour, telling the latest "model" of weather.
    We got 1/4" of rain, no wind, and the worst thing was a bit of patchy fog in localized places.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Some wild winter weather for sure! I am currently gazing out the window at an ice storm here. Started about 24 hrs ago and will continue through today. It is freezing rain, and road conditions are terrible. Temp is hovering near 32F, but will freeze overnight. Slick roads and walks. Glad it is a school, government holiday so most folks are waiting it out at home. The trees are beginning to be coated with a layer of ice. While pretty to look at, I'm so glad they do not have their leaves!

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Geez - all I can say is 'wowwwwww' ..........