Tradescantia spathacea (Oyster Plant) question

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by stephenieandkevin, Nov 29, 2011.

1. stephenieandkevin

stephenieandkevin New Seed

I want to plant oyster plants in my garden bed. Right now there is alot of grass growing there. Will the oyster plants crowd out the grass or do I need to kill the grass first? Thanks!!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kay
      Replies:
      Views:

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I would ask this in the veg. forum. I don't grow this, but if you are planning to harvest this I wouldn't want to dig through the sod to do so.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Actually there is nothing edible about this plant, it causes severe pain in the mouth and throat if you try.

In Florida it is classified as a Category I invasive exotic species by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council. This means that it is known to be "invading and disrupting native plant communities in Florida."
    It does spread by windblown seeds and will eventually take over not letting native plants germinate.

You might want to check into this further before planting them.

5. stephenieandkevin

Thanks for the feedback. I have planted these in other garden beds as groundcover and they were beautiful.The bed is enclosed so they won't invade other areas. Before when I had them, they stayed contained in that bed. I never had any problems with them spreading elsewhere. I'm really hoping they with crowd out the grass that is growing in this new bed. I've tried to kill the grass with no luck. Thanks again!!

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What is different about this from salsify? They are grown to harvest the roots, aren't they? or am I thinking the wrong plant?

7. toni

Salsify is Tragopogon porrifolius a member of the Aster family. It does have a common name of Wild Oyster Plant though.

The other is Tradescantia spathacea (Oyster Plant, Boatlily)

And in this case going by the common name could be very painful if you eat the wrong one. ;)

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, I went and looked this up farther and would have to say... Good thing you are here Toni, ...definitely not the same as salsify nor would I want this in my yard. Dogs are allergic to it and it can leave a contact dermatitis like poison ivy upon contact with a person. I think I would pass on intentionally putting this in the yard.

9. stephenieandkevin

I've never had any problems with the Tradescantia spathacea (Oyster Plant, Boatlily) as far allergic reactions and I have handled these plants ALOT when weeding or transplanting. Not sure about animals being allergic though. This plant can be very invasive if not contained. But it is a very attractive groundcover in my opinion

[​IMG]
    Tradescantia spathacea ( photo / image / picture from stephenieandkevin's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Tradescantia spathacea ( photo / image / picture from stephenieandkevin's Garden )

10. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Is that what us northerners call "Moses In The Cradle"?

:rolleyes: I don't have that anymore but I just love that.I think I will get some next Spring. I will let it grow in a garden area and then take it into the greenhouse for the Winters.

Barb in Pa.

11. stephenieandkevin

Barb, this is Moses In The Cradle! This plant goes by several names I've noticed! I love this plant too! Besides the fact that it is invasive, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want this plant in Their garden! You just have to keep in pruned or contained in a flower bed with a stone border or something. Happy gardening!!

12. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning, this is a very interesting topic,'moses in the cradle' or rhoeo, or tradescantia...same plant, it is used extensively here in gardens for edging or beds, there is a new addition here produced in Australias traditional colours of green and gold, thought you might like to see it, you can also see the flower in these photos.I didnt know what the flower was like til I saw this.Certainly not considered invasive in the right place.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Tradescantia spathacea (Oyster Plant)

If I put that directly in my garden I would have a very natural weeder. It's called Winter. :-D

I plan on putting one in a pot in the ground and then I can pull up the pot and take it to the greenhouse. It will confine the root system. I do that with quite a few plants in the summer.

Barb in Pa.

14. stephenieandkevin

Love the green and gold!! Beautiful :-D

15. toni

According to the information I read about their invasiveness, their seeds are blown by the wind and can land far away from the original plant and grow without anyone to keep them under control.