Trailing Clematis problems

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Aug 15, 2017.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

HELP! Two years ago I ordered 2 trailing clematis figuring that they would just ramble around the other flowers. At least that was what the article said! The first year they rambled..right over the top of any smaller plant! I tried to train them around the plants but they just went crazy. This year I tried to train them onto small 4 sided pyramid trellises. They way out grew those and are rambling everywhere! The vines are at least 6 to 8 foot long, or longer, and have large leaves so I have to keep pulling them off of any plant or it is covered up.
    I have a large stump that is about 4 1/2 foot tall and 5 foot across I can wrap wire fencing around and over it, transplant the vines by it and then weave and tie the vines on it so they look like they are climbing it. Or the other idea is to plant them behind the shubs in the shrub bed and let them ramble where ever. Which one would be best? What would you do?
    creeping clematis 002 (Medium).JPG

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The RHS gardening site recommends not planting Clematis to grow around dead trees or tree stumps as they host some diseases like Honey Fungus https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=180
    I would go with the second idea, letting them grow behind the shrubs. They will climb into them too but if the shrubs are older and strong they won't suffer any damage from the vine.

Sjoerd, 2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Clematis that have good growth is a bonus,..providing of course you have somewhere for it to grow,..otherwise it will just take over everything in its path,..i have two Clematis,.. both will ramble on and on for the entire blooming season,..even though i have give an entire wall covered with wire grips for one Clematis,..it still tries to travel further,..luckily by the time it has reached the ends of the wall its season is over.
    Clematis number two has a wire pyramid about eight foot high,..when it gets to that height it stops as having nowhere to go,..what would i do if in your position?,..i think making use of the 4 1/2 foot stump is what i would go for :like:

2ofus likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I take it you don't have a fence anywhere?

I have a tall clematis growing through a climbing rose. I didn't plan this so unfortunately they do not bloom at the same time but they do make excellent companions.

2, you actually have a problem I would love to have!!! I think clematis add a certain charm to the garden that is uniquely it's own. But of your 2 options I think I would go for the stump too. Could you put a couple of trellises alon the side of the stump to aid air flow (to reduce the chance of fungus)?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I think I'm going to plant them in the shrub bed. As these will not climb on their own, I would have to tie them onto the wire and we are talking about a lot of ties as they are at least 8 foot long and have numerous vines. I think they will be pretty scrambling in, up and around the shrubs and much easier to take care of. Guess I'm getting lazy! Thank you all for your advice. :like::)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Good luck 2!

Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I have been using metal trellises from Home Depot for the last several years. They are about 6 foot tall once in the ground. You just stick them in the ground and they are self supporting. Used two to corral a big old thorny rose, and have used them for clematis, vining veggies like beans and peas. A little pricey but suit my put it in and forget it or move it style. Here are my Japanese anenomes tied up with them and an old metal coat hanger or two. IMG_0439.JPG

9. Cayuga Morning

I like it Jewell! The trellises might even be on end-of-season sale!

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Nice image Jewell,..very striking roses and lots of them,..i do like that trellis,.. sturdy and just stick it in the ground and leave it,..plus self supporting,..you have me thinking :)

Cayuga Morning,..yep end of season sale would be great here as well ;)