Transplanting Cosmos from one container to another

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Navywife, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Navywife

Navywife New Seed

I am new to gardening and growing flowers. I just have a few questions if anyone can help me. I am growing some Cosmos in a really small container and the instructions say when they get 3" to transplant them. I feel they have reached that height and i need to transplant them. But i really ain't sure how to transplant and i don't want to kill them. I just need to transplant from one container to another.
    Can someone help me?

2. Loading...

3. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Hi Navywife and welcome from the Norwegian Artic.

I'm not sure about flowers but with my herbs and veggies, i just take the next size pot, fill with some stones or gravel then add dirt or what ever your choice of planting material is. Then take the plant pot turn upside down, with my fingers supporting the stem of the plant, and squeeze the pot until the plant and dirt comes out. then i do a little loosening of the dirt, not enough to injure the roots, and stick that into the new pot. Then fill with dirt around the vacant areas water real good and set in the sun.

2 things i want to add saying, i always water the plant real good first before transplanting to a new pot. and also i never fertalize the day i transplant, i wait until it dries out or needs watering again then fertilize. This site is filled with people who are way better at this than i am, so maybe they can help you better.

Good luck with your plants!

4. Navywife

Navywife New Seed

Thank you for all your help. So with the new pot that i have go ahead a put some extra soil into it? And do you know about how far down i have to plant to the roots?

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

6. Navywife

Navywife New Seed

Ok Great!! Thanks 8)