Transplanting is WORK!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Sep 14, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I had to move a number of plants in my flower beds. It seems that they can't read to see how tall they are suppose to be! So I moved two peonies, nine tall lilies, a tall sedum, and 2 huge penstemmon that I couldn't pick up to put in the wheel barrow. I rolled them one at a time on a flat (square) nosed shovel and drug it behind me like a sled. It worked! Only one more peony to transplant tomorrow (if I can still move) and I'm done other than the bulbs I ordered.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think non-gardeners really know what hard work gardening can be.
    I hope you're not too full of aches and pains tomorrow 2ofus.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I know all to well how hard transplanting can be! I usually split them up if I can't lift them though. Then I end up with more plants :) I've been working hard today too, moving compost to the veggie patch. So far, 6 heaping wheelbarrows full :)

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Tina

Tina Young Pine

I need to move the hedge plants from the front yard. I have been postponing them so long. But I guess I have to get to it soon :(

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That sounds like hard graft. It is getting to be that time of year again. I hope they like their new homes.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I decided to plant the last peony in the front yard then I'm going to take a couple of days off before I start planting the bulbs. Does anyone know if I should cut the foliage off on the peonies?

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I do not know for 100%. But at this time of year you ought to be able to remove the leaves. What IS important is that you do not plant them too deeply. 1½ - 2 inches below the soil level (3 if your are really nervous about exposure). The roots need the coldness to go properly dormant and set the buds.

If you are planning on mulching your peony's, remember to calculate this in when keeping the roots at 1½ - 2 below soil surface. The depth real;ly is critical...sort of like irides.

Good luck meid.

Beeker likes this.
  9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

2ofus--

Great post! I can just picture you struggling with these huge peonies & perennials. I am very impressed with your industriousness. My back aches just reading your post!

About the peonies: Sjoerd is right, you need to be sure to plant the peonies at the right depth. Too deep & they won't bloom. 1 1/2- 2 inches. Maybe in Idaho it needs to be deeper due to the cold? That I don't know about.

I cut my peonies back about now (assuming they are herbaceous & not tree peonies?). Mine tend to get mildewed. But you are supposed to cut them back after the foliage dies (& get rid of the foliage off your property!) to reduce the chance of them getting Botrytis.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

GARDENING is hard work. You win the award for really hard gardening! We transplanted a row of raspberries this weekend, but that is really pretty easy.... Mostly it is work when they need thinned and then when they need picked.

11. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Gardening is my fitness plan, mostly. And always a work in progress. Good for you for tweaking it, making it like-you-like-it!