Transplanting Peonies

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by stratsmom, Sep 11, 2016.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Years ago an old fella gave me several old peonies. They bloomed very well for quite some time and then slowly stopped. I dug one and transplanted it. It did not do well so I dug it up and moved it again, fingers crossed it will perk up. While cleaning one flower bed today I came across more of that same plant! I dug it all out and now have some big, healthy roots (they were down deep) along with an old, dead, crunchy "crown" right in the middle. Should I separate all the roots and throw away the dead, crunchy wood part or just plop all of it in a new hole?

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

If the crown is all dried, and dead I would be tempted to cut it out to discourage any rot near the healthy root.

Philip Nulty and stratsmom like this.
  4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Yep! That is what I did. After I wrote this thread I started looking at YouTube videos and went out and groomed that old tuber :) I hate to lose it because the old guy that gave it to me has passed on and I'd hate to lose his gift too :( There were a few good looking eyes on it so I think there is hope! I wonder how old the oldest peony on record is???:headscratch:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

My dad's dad (if he was still alive), my grandfather, would be around 140 yrs old. His youngest daughter, my aunt 96 yrs young still lives in his original farmhouse and STILL has the original peonies coming up each year. I'm putting them at a pretty ripe old age ;)

Philip Nulty, Netty and stratsmom like this.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I bet they are something to see:) Imagine if they could talk....the stories they could tell...Am I the only one that thinks like this???

7. Netty

I have a piece of an heirloom Peony from a friend. Story is that her great grandmother planted them at the family farm many years ago. Her father is in his 70's, so his grandmother must have been at least 40 when he was born. I'd say my piece of Peony is at least 110 years old :)

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Strats, good luck with your peonies. I hope they do well. I'd like to hear a follow up on them if you have the time.

A friend gave me 2 peonies last summer. She dug them up right in the middle of summer! I thought they would die, being treated like that, they looked so poorly. But they are doing well, getting bigger, looking green. No blooms this year, but I would not expect that. ? maybe next year?

stratsmom likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I transplanted peonies 2 years ago (2 growing seasons ago) and still mostly have leaves this year BUT early spring I did get 1 pink bloom :)

stratsmom and Cayuga Morning like this.
  10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I just transplanted 2 peonies and have one more to move. It will take a couple of years before I expect to see them bloom also.

stratsmom and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think if they were mature & blooming when you moved them they should bloom in their new home. I think mine always have... :headscratch: It is so sad to see a peony not blooming. I wait all winter for it....then, if it doesn't happen :smt022

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I can't wait for pictures of them...I love peonies but I have never had any luck with them. Our neighbors at our new property have them planted so I will be able to enjoy them when they bloom. Too early here right now.
    ....Stratsmom, I think we all feel the same way when we loose a plant in our gardens, especially a favorite one to find out a mole or rodent ate the roots, etc.

Frank, stratsmom and Cayuga Morning like this.
  13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Good Morning! Wow it's been a long time since I've had a chance to check in with all my Stewbies!!
    I am proud to say the eyes I moved last fall look AMAZING!! They are about 5 inches tall and happy and healthy looking! Way too early for buds but I am checking every day!!!

14. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Congrats Strats! Peonies are unquenchable!

stratsmom likes this.
  15. Netty

That's great news! I hope it gives you some blooms this year!

16. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I hope so too :) Actually I dug and moved a total of 3, hoping to revive them. Sure hope it worked! Things are finally starting to wake up, I see a few more red shoots every day!:fingerscrossed:

Philip Nulty likes this.