Travels In Norway--Part 2

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

One of the things that we went to see was this huge waterfall. It was up on the side of a hill and fell in such a way that one could walk behind the waterfall and not get wet. If you look closely, you can see there is a path with side-railing running up to the waterfall and behind it…on up to an observation platform. It doesn’t look so imposing on the foto, but look up on the observation platform. Do you see a small red dot? That is an adult man in a complete red rainsuit. This gives perspective. To the right there is also someone coming up the trail, dressed in light clothing. What a noise that waterfall made.
    no011.jpg

We were in Norheimsund and wanted to go visit Bergen. It was about 1½ hours drive, I believe. We decided to stay another day and visit Bergen and then continue the following day.
    no012.jpg

We parked a short distance from the harbor and then walked there. It was a good impression that we got when we saw the wooden houses. This small area has been restored from the fire that destroyed part of the harbor buildings.
    no012a.jpg

no012b.jpg

I think that anyone planning on visiting Norway ought to realize beforehand that it is expensive there and this foto is an example of the prices:
    no012d.jpg

Further along the road our trip took us along more and more lovely places. There were high mountains and passes that felt quite cold. You can see that there is snow here that had not melted during the summer.
    no013.jpg

Here is another lay-by with natural picnic tables and benches.
    no015.jpg

Norway really is a place where one feels as though he is driving through a series of calendar pictures.
    no017.jpg

no018.jpg

no018b.jpg

We saw many of these salmon hatcheries that grow the fish for sale.
    no021.jpg

The day finally came that we arrived in Ålesund. It had been a long distance and many impressions along the way….but we were there. I’m going to rest-up here.
    no019.jpg

KK Ng, Cayuga Morning, eileen and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Could you hear your own voice over the sound of the waterfall Sjoerd? I can just imagine standing beneath it and having it rush over your head.
    Again beautiful landscapes and high prices (as expected).

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

FRANK--Yes, it was possible to hear someone speaking at the falls, but one must shout and be standing right next to the other person. What an experience!
    You know, I was travelling in the u.s. once and came across a historical road sign once somewhere in Tennessee. The sign marked the place where a dude called Daniel Boon hid from indians. He hid under a waterfall. I do not know how large the waterfall was in mr Boon's time but it when I was there I could barely hide my hand behind it...it had worn down to the place that it wasn't even 12 inches high!
    Amazing eh?

Frank likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Now that's what I call a waterfall!! Spectcular!! All your photographs really do look like calendar or picture postcard scenery don't they? The views must be even more impressive in real life. Such a pity that everything is so expensive though.

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The taking of pictures required no skill at all, as the landscape did all the work--it was a case of point and shoot.
    Yes, it is very expensive...but well worth saving for. If you ever go, let me know, I have some tips for you.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Much about Daniel Boone has a hint of 'did that really happen?' to it. Hiding behind the waterfall was probably one of those.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ha, ha, ha...I figured as much. I mean when you would see that "waterfall' You would think to yourself Could an adult man have ever hidden behind that (now) ripple/rapid. Ach well...legends are not really meant to be taken literally I suppose. The tale did sound romantic though.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Beautiful photos Sjoerd. What a lovely area.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much, Cayuga. Norway is a place that has to be seen to be believed. It is so strikingly beautiful.

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Reading your post and seeing the photos makes me wants wonder why I came back. Europe is such a beautiful continent with lots of different cultures. Wish I had more time there.

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful spot to sit and rest, and enjoy the view.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

NETTY and KK--I am chuffed that you liked the posting. On vacation, I am good at sitting and enjoying the view. hahaha.

14. Richard1984

Richard1984 New Seed

Nice one Sjoerd. Norway is indeed a place of natural wonders. Indeed you can say that for much of Scandinavia. Did you go to the fjords?

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes...I went to, across, over and under several.
    It is such an lovely place. I had been to Denmark before but this time I made a special trip to Norway to visit friends.