Trying Broccoli From Seed

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Clay_22, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

In my attempt to expand my from seed repertoire: Another new one is Waltham 29 Broccoli. I've done Broccoli from seedling before. Any hints or tips on doing Broccoli from seed ?

2. Loading...

3. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

My experience was not that great, but I learned a lot.
    They need a lot of time and a lot of sun.
    If they don't get enough sun, they'll get long and leggy, with very small florets if any at all.
    Be sure to check under the leaves for pests.
    Sjoerd had some great advice, but I couldn't find it in my inbox.
    I still plan to try again this year.

Clay_22 likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

http://www.volkstuindersvereniginghoorn ... age31.html

http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/time-to-plant-my-brassicas.19135/#post-172053

Hi Clay,

I have begun with a couple of links that may be helpful. I have made a number of posts in the past about broccoli/calabrese/brassica's.

I do not know exactly what to comment about as with growing brassica's there are a number of aspect, the first of which is the specific type of brassica you will be growing this year. Another thing is the soil type you have/ammendments. Do you want to read something about germinating or planting-out in the garden plot. Maintenance? Protection? When to harvest (associated with hybrid type or species).

I am delighted to give you opinions, just let me know on here or via a pm.

I am always happy to see folks growing brassica's for they are delicious and can present certain challenges that make success even sweeter.
    Let me know.

2ofus and Clay_22 like this.
  5. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Thanks Beeker & Sjoerd for the info unfortunately I think this years attempt will be considered a bust. I got some sprouts but the now seem almost wilted looking and like they are ready to be DOA. I will try again next year but I am having success with my other new from seed ventures ie. eggplant, carrots, lettuce......