Trying to germinate pickled Jalapeno seeds.

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by S-H, Mar 27, 2016.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

What are the chances of trying to germinate pickled seeds? Honestly?

I myself am very doubtful if this will work. But some people are telling me that they can still sprout. Seriously???

I honestly don't see how, as these seeds have been in salt water for a very long time, with a little vinegar, and citric acid, as well as some sodium benzoate, (plus some sodium metabisulfate for color stabilizing)... So how likely is it that they will grow?

ClipBoardx.jpg

2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It does sound doubtful but I think it would be worth a try just to see. All your out is a little soil and time. Let us know how it turns out if you decide to try.

S-H likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

I doubt they will germinate but you never know till you try.

S-H likes this.
  5. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

Be sure to add pictures of the sliced pickled jalapeño bush to the plant database. ;) Ok, sorry, I'll go back to my corner now.

Really, though, give it a try. Seeds have survived worse and still sprouted.

S-H likes this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I agree Roy, I have seen tomatoes sprout spontaneously out of manure. Keep in mind that those seeds actually passed through the whole digestive system of the animals, yet still sprouted! Also, in nature, birds often distribute seeds this way too - Parrots in particular, (specially the Indian Ringneck which is very common here, as it makes a great pet, as well as learns to talk very quickly), is actually crazy after all types of chilies. So from that bird's droppings, I have seen chili plans sprout.

In that movie or TV miniseries of the Swiss Family Robinson - I heard the father tell his kids to save all the seeds, even the tomato seeds which have already been cooked in their canned soup. When the boy asked how is that possible? Dad answered that seeds in reality are actually very resilient, so don't worry, as many of them will grow!

And in another movie from Korea, named Castaway on the Moon (I think), they show a man stuck on an Island, who collects bird droppings for seeds. From which he is able to grow a mini farm of his own!

So this is what I want to get to the bottom of, to see if there is any truth to this or not - And of course I have recently developed a very strong craving for Jalapenos too! :D So this is why I posted here, in case anyone else had ever tried something like this.

Anyway, yesterday I dried them out, so today I will plant them somewhere. If any of them sprout, I will definitely post pictures over here for all to see! :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Henry Johnson likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

When pickled jalapenos are canned only the vinegar is heated then is poured over the peppers. So it is possible and even likely that the seeds are not heated enough to kill them !!

S-H likes this.