Tulips and daffodils that don't come up

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Bella Blue Bell, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Bella Blue Bell

Bella Blue Bell New Seed

Every year I plant tulip bulbs and they never come up.
    I live in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. What am I doing wrong??

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Do you plant them inside or outside...I ask because you posted this in the Houseplants forum ;) I'll move the post if necessary.

The bulbs have to be planted in the Fall so they will have roots established and be ready to come up and bloom in early Spring. They do need cold weather during the winter but since you are in Ohio that probably isn't the problem. I have them here and we don't usually have much cold if any in the winter.

Full sun, planted in the Fall, watered during the winter it is dry. Do you have a problem with moles or voles? They could be eating the bulbs if so.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Squirrels love Tulip bulbs too.

5. Bella Blue Bell

Bella Blue Bell New Seed

Sorry, didn't mean to post in houseplants>I plant them outside. We do have voles!

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Voles could be a problem. To verify if that is the case, dig where you planted the bulbs, the critters will leave little evidence of their meal. A solution for the voles is chicken wire. Form a cocoon of wire around the bulb(s) so as to protect them from the underground foragers. Another problem could be the planting depth. How deep did you plant them?

Jerry

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

You should be able to grow them, I do and I don't live far from you. Moles and voles will devour them. Do you see tunneling in the flowerbeds/yard? that is very indicative of the little creatures. cats are a great control, but if you have them and only indoors, stuff the cat twinkies from the litterbox in the tunnels (you can come here and get some if you need them :rolleyes: ). I know it sounds gross, but it works. cats are predators and this is like marking their territory and the rodents avoid the area. Or find the entrance to the tunnel (which will be fairly hard) and set a mouse trap with peanut butter bait on it, cover with a bucket and prepare to change it daily. I had a friend do this and caught almost 30 moles/voles in the trap over the period of a week.