Twos Company.

Discussion in 'Bird' started by Sydney Smith, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi. Another quicky. Went walking this morning and on return stood at fence next the woods hoping to see some Deer. As I stood there this little chap settled on a low bush just 6 feet away - it sat there for some time without a fear in the world. Syd.

Attached Files:

Jewell likes this.
  2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have robins here that follows us around the garden as we're working hoping to pick up a meal. I love to see these little birds with their attractive colouring.

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Everybodies favourites for sure and rightly so. Likewise over the years of gardening it has always been that whilst out there disturbing the soil, tidying etc there would be one around - sometimes right around your feet. At last address we did for a time have one that actually came into the conservatory at the back and perched on a chair back - tame as you like - we put some scraps outside the door for it and out it went to enjoy them. Speaking of Robins I did a few years ago have sent to me by friend/friends two pics - one was a Starling with many white feathers in its plumage and the other a white breasted Robin - a Robin white breast no less. I do not know from where they got them but guess possibly from a newspaper or magazine. I still have them and would like to send them in but have no idea as to the copyright etc and if I am allowed to. Syd.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    SS, love the photo. You captured the image perfectly. Very nice. Makes me want to go out and sit in the garden to see what will show up. The birds are all quite noisy right now with territorial songs and noises.

5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jewell. How are you?. We all love the birds and all have our favourites. The Robin Redbreast is well known all over and everybodies favourite I think. I went down the garden with camera hoping to see a Deer or two. As I stood there that fellow just flew up and settled in the bush barely 6 feet away and there it stayed . I had both arms over the fence holding camera and was moving them about but it just quietly sat there. When something like that happens it always sets my mind to thinking that all wild creatures have this built in / born in sense of self preservation and sensing of danger- what is dangerous what is not. That little bird must have felt happy for me to be standing there and keep its obvious ease as it did. Possibly it was our resident/regular Robin and it knew me by sight as a friend - all very puzzling and it always prompts the thought and wish with me which is if only they could talk and that goes for everything including ancient trees - now what a story a several hundred years old Oak or whatever tree could tell us.
    Bert wishes. Syd..