Ugly Skylight

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by silvalex, Apr 1, 2008.

1. silvalex

silvalex New Seed

Hello, first time poster here. I have an ugly looking skylight. It's usually covered with an opaque white cover, but I decided that I want to take advantage of the skylight to make it look it's best. With the shield over it, it just looks like your typical boxy fluorescent fixture. However, with the cover off, it looks old and dingy. Obviously a little paint will go a long way here, but is there anything else I can do here to make it look a little more stylish? Like blue paint with white sponge (to make it have a sky effect). Has any seen a transformed skylight that looks neat? Some other pictures would be great.

2. Loading...

3. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

I used to have skylights just like that when I lived in a 'fancy' house in the city. If you paint the inside space in a cool blue it will visually recede and give more of a "sky" feeling. Maybe paint that narrow bit around the bottom with something really out there, like an intense orange. That isn't really a feature you can pull attention away from, why not deliberately focus on it instead? Just a thought...

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

CP, your thoughts and views are so similar to mine.That's what I would do. Play it up... make it the focal point! Just my opinion...

5. Vancouver-Interior-Design

Vancouver-Interior-Design New Seed

I just saw a really nice skylight at an open-house that was made from artsey stained glass. The light the came through was very beautiful.

:)

6. MindfulDesign

MindfulDesign New Seed