Unwanted plant you spend the most time on?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by purpleinopp, Oct 24, 2012.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Scrubby brush. Our yard was bulldozed out of a woody area. The tree trunks were not pulled out of the ground, just sheared off. So, sprouts keep coming up and every week I take my loppers and go cut it off. Youpon is the worst of it and some junk tree is second.

dooley

2. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Bermuda grass. Actually, I spend a lot less time on it than I used to. But if you let it get ahead of you it will take over.

I'm very diligent about it. No Bermuda is allowed to go to seed. I burn any that comes back. I have used Doomsday on a couple of places where it keeps coming back. But I haven't had to do that last year or this year so far.

My husband goes after tumbleweed (Russian thistle). It's almost gone. That's one I'll compost if we get it before it starts going to seed.

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I love my vines that I have growing on fences to create a screen, but I do need to keep them under control. My Ampelopsis vine is very healthy ;) so I prune it hard in the spring, and then I need to trim aggressive branches all season. But it does know I am the boss!!
    :)
    Also, I love my Sweet Autumn Clems, but they do tend to procreate. I hate to get rid of them, but I do.
    Also, I have two old Crabapples and I have to trim the suckers several times during the season. Ugh
    I do not have many weeds, just lucky I guess... But My customers have A LOT, and the worst is bindweed!!!

Netty likes this.
  4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

what we call quack grass and pickers....I just hate the pickers because they grow so fast...

Advertisement
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Bind weed! The roots go forever and it must grow a couple of feet a day. The white flowers are all along the hedges right now. Ugh!

Then I have this new weed that looks like it might be in the clover family with reddish purple leaves, little yellow flowers and pointed seed pods. Didn't see it until last year and it is prolific. The stems root. At least it is small. ..sigh..

Netty likes this.
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Sounds like your 2nd weed is Oxalis stricta or corniculata. IDK about the corniculata, but the stricta has explosive seed pods that throw tons of seeds far away from the mama plant. They are cute, but letting one grow is usually regrettable the next year.

You may be able to get a handle on the bindweed by letting it drink poison. Said to work so much more effectively than spraying.
    Here's a well-written quote, "glass jar with a good, not concentrated shrub killer in it. Slip the branch into the jar. The thought is to wick the toxin into the roots directly. I found that concentrate kills the branch before it 'wicks.'

Doing this, one finds out which bindweeds are attached to which and how many sub-surface individual networks there are..."

This method should work with any of the glyphosate products, that function by being absorbed systemically by actively growing leaves. This allows only the exact amount needed to be used, and not applying anything to anything else or the ground. You would dig a little divot for the jar, so it doesn't tip over, then cover the whole thing (gently, so you don't injure those vigorous branches that need to drink a lot of gunk,) with foil or a plastic bag, to keep rain out.

You may need to repeat this several times during the growing season, and possibly into next year, depending entirely on its' size, vigor, but there are many testimonials that it does work if done well & diligently.

In the meantime, if you're able to mangle other parts of it with weed trimmer or hedge trimmers, the closer to the ground the better, it could help weaken it, and at least prevent the formation of any seeds from parts that are manually removed.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Quack grass, dandy lions and, what I think, is wild purslane (sp.). About half an inch round fleshy leaves that are reddish along the edges and the center is green and it creeps along the ground.

8. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

What color are the flowers on your "wild purslane," 2ofus?

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't know. We've never let it bloom as we remove it s soon as we see it.

10. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Purslane flowers are little bitty yellow ones. I saw a ton of it in a customer's garden today. The weeds are going crazy!

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have a wild mess of violets that have taken over my front flowerbed. They came along with a peony that was given to me. At first I thought they were sweet, now I think they are evil :eek:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Black Medic-and wild violets. :mad: They both grow in my flower beds and get so prolific I have a hard time keeping them under control. Besides the Goutweed. :eek: I also have Chickweed which mostly grows in our lawn. But I just pick it and put it in our salads. It is very good for you. :D

13. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

We call cleavers "sticky willy". It has other names, and some cool uses.

From the Wiki:

"Galium aparine
    is edible. The leaves and stems of the plant can be cooked as a leaf vegetable if gathered before the fruits appear. However, the numerous small hooks which cover the plant and give it its clinging nature can make it less palatable if eaten raw.[19][20] Geese frequently consume G. aparine, hence one of its other common names, "goosegrass".[21] Cleavers are in the same family as coffee. The fruits of cleavers have often been dried and roasted, and then used as a coffee substitute which contains less caffeine.[7][22]

Dioscorides reported that ancient Greek shepherds would use the barbed stems of cleavers to make a "rough sieve", which could be used to strain milk. Carl Linnaeus later reported the same usage in Sweden, a tradition that is still practiced in modern times.[23][27]

In Europe, the dried, matted foliage of the plant was once used to stuff mattresses. Several of the bedstraws were used for this purpose because the clinging hairs cause the branches to stick together, which enables the mattress filling to maintain a uniform thickness.[20][28] The roots of cleavers can be used to make a permanent red dye.[29]"

Mostly I pull it up though it goes away in our summer heat.

eileen and Odif like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bindweed, ground elder, Equisetum arvense and wild comfrey that “blows-in” . Oh yes, and the encroaching reed from the other side of the canal.

15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Poison ivy!

Sjoerd likes this.