Use Stinging Nettles To Make A Liquid Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, May 22, 2010.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I don't always stick strictly to the doses I said. Usually lighter doses with younger plants though. If I think my potion is too concentrated, i just dilute it more until it is the right colour.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I work like that as well...what I call, "wet finger work". You know like sticking your finger in your mouth to make it wet so that you can see which direct a gentle breeze comes from.

Odif likes this.
  3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Here is my comfrey tea in the making. I do the same with nettles too. comfrey.jpg Every day I stir it up and it makes a lot of froth that takes ages to dissolve. Usually after about 4 to 5 days, when I come to stir it, depending on the temperature, it may be a bit longer, the bubbles will disappear very quickly. This is ready and I filter and bottle it. Sometimes I wait 2 to 3 weeks and then it makes a second fermentation and it really stinks. When you manage to stop it after the first fermentation, it smells more like fish or the sea instead of stinking so bad.

Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I do not usually stir mine. Of course when I am pouring some off to give my plants I do shake up the "brew" a bit. At the end of the process I place the rotting plant debris at the bottom of plants, wash the bucket out and then begin anew.

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Like you, Sjoerd I sometimes leave it without stirring and it works just as well.

Sjoerd likes this.