Used an organic fungicide and it didn't help and made things worse. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Sharalyn Anderson, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Sharalyn Anderson

Sharalyn Anderson New Seed

Hey, I was plagued with black spot and so I got myself an organic fungicide and sprayed it all over my tomatoes and some on my cantaloupe. I did exactly what the directions told me to and even sprayed it when it was in the evening when there was no full sun and the temperature wasn't to hot.

After a day of spraying, I went out to water and noticed that some of the leaves look burnt, white powder or white spots on it, dark powdery stuff and brown curling with yellow. I am trying my best to help these plants but I am almost making things worse. Please help me!!

Also, my tomatoes are in bloom and making tomatoes right now, can we safely consume and can, if they come from fungus or diseased plants like this?.
    Is it safe?. I just don't want to loose my dozen tomato plants.

So look at the photos below and help me out please. Thank you.

P.S. THE LAST PHOTO IS OF MY TOMATO PLANT THAT FIRST GOT THE BLACK SPOT, IT WILL EVENTUALLY NEED TO BE PLUCKED IF I CONTINUE TO HAVE TO TAKE ALL THE LEAVES OFF.

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

What did you spray with? Organics really work best as a preventative spray not a control spray. Are you spraying the tops and underneaths of the leaves?
    Can you get a few closer pictures of the first one you uploaded? I am wondering if I am seeing spider mites, but the picture isn't clear enough to enlarge to check.
    The yellowing of the plants does look a little disconcerting and I am guessing that you are battling a fungal issue, whatever you are spraying isn't working. You need to know what you are spraying for before you spray indiscriminately. not all fungicides work on all fungal infections and not all fungicides even work on that they are supposed to be listed for. Especially if you have a strain of something that has developed a resistance to the product it is supposed to be controlled by. The other problem may be just too much water.

4. Sharalyn Anderson

Attached Files:

5. Sharalyn Anderson

The sixth photo shows the yellowing on the plant itself. Hope there is some good close up ones on here for you. Thank you

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

Advertisement
  6. Sharalyn Anderson

Carolyn, please tell me I can revive and heal these tomato plants and please tell me I will Still be able to consume and can, my tomatoes?!
    I have done so much work with these guys and even got a really bad first degree burn from the sun working on weeding my garden for these guys. I just don't want all my work to be in vain. I was so excited to think of canning all those tomato plants.

Thank you.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sorry, no promises from me on if you can make them survive. Plant fungus is hard to control once it gets a foothold in your garden. The key to getting the crop is preventative rather than controlling it once it is present. keep trying no matter whether you are successful this year or not ( I am rooting for you for this year though as it is very disheartening to not get a crop the first year you try.) BUT I think you will get something... just maybe not as many as you hoped for. I don't think they look that bad, but if the leaves start to shrivel up and the fruit is exposed they may get sunburned so keep a sheet or something over them if that happens. Otherwise pick off all the discolored leaves and spray the plants at least once a week. I still have no idea what you are spraying as the label is impossible to read.

8. Sharalyn Anderson

This is the description about the spray.

Combining insecticidal soap with a sulfur based fungicide, this product provides three garden solutions in one, Fungicide, Insecticide and a Miticide. This product eliminates soft-bodied insects such as aphids, thrips, mealybugs, etc as well as controls many plant diseases including powdery mildew, rust, blight and black spot. 3-in-1 Garden Spray is OMRI Listed and will not harm beneficial insects.

Hope that helps. One of my tomato plant has gotten yellow leaves forming and now it is creeping up the plant. Not sure weather it is due to lack of nutrients or to much watering. I stopped watering for a few days and the leaves are still becoming yellow.

I was thinking of doing some sort of soil tested to see how my soil is. Otherwise, I have no idea what to do for these guys.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Pick off the yellow leaves. And keep on trying.

10. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Does that spray say it is safe for use on edibles?

11. Sharalyn Anderson

Well, the fact that It says it can be used on vegetables, like tomato plants etc. I would presume so. However, the company did say not to spray it directly on the vegetable itself, which made me a little Leary but I just went with it. Turns out, that is really unavoidable.

This spray can be sprayed on tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Even flowers

12. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Excellent. Hope it helps. Good luck!

13. Sharalyn Anderson

Me too. So far, not so much. But I am hopeful.

14. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Shara I was thinking along the same lines as carolyn that you maybe over watering the plants to much. With that much watering you can wash away some of the good nutrients your plants need. Many plants will develop yellow leaves if the are nutrient deficient .Are you using any type of organic fertilizer on your plants. Tomatoes are heavy feeders. Plus it is always a good idea to put mulch down around your plants to conserve moisture.
    One thing that you could try and the black spots is a mixture of 1cup milk to 9cups of water. Spray on the effected plants during the cooler part of the day.
    I really think that if you feed your tomatoes and put at least 2-3 inches of mulch around them that they will recover. It may take a few weeks though.
    Hope that helps. Let us know. You can also use Hydrogen peroxide sprayed full strength to control many fungus's.

15. mart

mart Strong Ash

In looking at your pics,, do you see tiny white flecks on the underside of the leaves ? I thought I could see some on one of the pics.. If so it could be a mite of some type . They suck the juice from the leaves leaving dark blotches but you cannot always see them on the top,,just the underside. This could be a combination of problems. Not watering deep enough and watering too often will cause the roots to stay located at the top of the soil. This is not what you want with tomatoes,, you want the roots to go deep to search for water. You should water about every 4 to five days and then water deeply. It does not hurt tomatoes to be a little dry as long as it doesn`t wilt . too much. The spray you used says sulphur based so it should not do any more damage than is already there,, but it will not fix the problem in a few days. It will take a while. It says it has a miticide so that should take care of mites if that is what the problem is . What is the temperature where you live and when are you watering the plants ? Some of the pics look almost like a scald to me such as what happens when its really hot and water gets on the leaves. Always water early morning rather than evening if possible so leaves can dry before the sun gets too hot and always water at the root. Damp earth through the night can lead to mold problems.
    This is what I would do if these were my plants,,,remove only the worst leaves and trash them, work a few inches of compost or manure around the plants and water well with Miracle Gro or any of the light water based fertilizers. Continue spraying with the fungicide about every three days to get any critters that hatch out but add a bit more water to it and be sure to get the underside of the leaves. Then just wait and see if there is any new growth in the next few weeks or so. Good thing is,, the tomatoes are safe to eat and can, Fungus on plants is not harmful to people,, just plants. I have had similar problems on occasion but still used the tomatoes.

Frank likes this.