using a timer for watering, and drip system ?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Melissa1982, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Melissa1982

Melissa1982 Seedling

Me and my husband are planning to go either this summer or next to visit family overseas. We would stay for about a month, possibly the whole summer. (He's a teacher, so, he get summers off)
    We are talking about setting up a drip irrigation system on a timer. It sounds like it would be perfect for when we're home, too, because sometimes it's too hot for me to go out and water...
    Does anyone here use a timer or a drip system? Is it worth it? And, how does it turn the water on and off? Can it be used for containers too, or just in ground plants?

2. Loading...

3. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

I love the soaker hoses made from recycled tires. The water barely oozes from the pores on the hose, and they hold up well as long as they're protected from the sun. I place them in my vegetable garden before I put in the seedlings, and I also put them in my perennial beds under a mulch layer.

I've used the automatic timers on these, but would be a bit leary to do this if I would be gone for as long as you. Can you have someone stop by and check on the setup each day? I'd hate to come home to a flood or worse.