using cornmeal as a fungicide?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by daisybeans, Jun 22, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I have been reading about this on various websites -- using cornmeal in the garden as a fungicide. It involves spreading it in the soil. I spread it (2nd time) around my veggies. I think I will put it around my roses tomorrow as some things I read suggest using it for black spot on roses too.

I wondered if anyone else has tried this and if so, what your thoughts about it are.

http://gardening.about.com/od/naturalor ... rnmeal.htm

There may be some sites that are more informative and technical... but this one was simple and clear.

2. Loading...

3. Tammyd

Tammyd Seedling Plants Contributor

I haven't tried it but it sounds very interesting. I have an apple tree that is being eaten up with fungus and think I will try the corn meal and see if it helps. Do you use the food grade corn meal or the horticultural?

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Well, from what I read... and can I say this -- it's been hard to find a simple to read, one stop info source for this, which is why I asked everyone if they'd tried it.... so, I'm sort of compiling what I've read.

That said, from what I have read, the regular food grade corn meal that you buy in the grocery, is useful for preventing fungus' on veggies and edibles, esp broad leaved plants -- squash, cukes, etc. Also supposed to help prevent black spot on roses. I also read where it prevents worms on broccoli and other brassica... apparently the worms eat the cornmeal and puff up (and die). For any of these purposes, the application is the same. You're supposed to sprinkle the cornmeal around the base of the plant out 3-6 inches. Normal watering activates the process. It is supposed to change the sompostion of the soil, and provide "food" for good bacteria and fungus that then feeds on the bad ones. Reapplication 1x/month on some info sources, and 1x/season on others...

The horticultural grade is more gluten rich and is used as a soil supplement when mixed in at certain amounts per sq foot -- different sources cited different amounts...

I didn't read anything specifically about using for fungus on apple trees... It seems to be described as more preventative than curative, unfortunately. But, maybe it is still something worth trying. It couldn't hurt... It's not harmful... (except some sources that said on very young seedlings it could slow growth). The worst that could happen is ... nothing...

Interesting idea. I am so curious to see if others have used it. If I find any info on apple trees, I'll post it for you.

5. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I'll try that too, Daiseybeans. I'm always for a cure that's not harmful to the earth. I'm going to use it on my roses as I battle Black Spot.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've been wondering about this too daisybeans. I read about it online last week and thought it was worth a try. I've also heard that it is good for getting rid of ant hills and wondered if it worked.

7. Joan

Joan Seedling

I have a zoysia lawn and many springs I get a orangey rust looking disease in some spots. It has always resolved during summer, but I tried sprinkling it with corn meal two different years and my impression was that it resolved much more quickly. I would do it again in the future if I have this problem again.

Cornmeal, however, has gotten more expensive than it used to be.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It sounds like a good thing to exlore. Let's remember then, to compare notes.
    I would be very happy to get a handle on black spot too, Gardengater...