Various plants for ID, basket collection

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Ronni, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

16999334781_cf399883d1.jpg
    Another cast-off from one of my clients. She was going to throw the whole thing away because it stopped being so fresh-looking :(

I want to re-plant these if I can. I know the tall plant in back is a peace lily, and I know how to re-pot it and care for it as a houseplant.

Is the plant on the right is a mini-rose bush? If it is, I've never had success growing those as house plants, they always die on me. And I have no clue what the plant with those coral flowers on the left is, nor the pink one in front. Can you give me any pointers as to how to care for them? Are they houseplants? Should I plant them in the garden?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

1: Peace lily, Spathiphyllum
    2: Rose
    3: polka dot plant, Hypoestes
    4: tuberous Begonia, Reiger type
    16999334781_cf399883d1.jpg

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The rose can go outside in a sunny spot, either in a good sized pot or in the ground. Mine has overwintered outside during snow and ice these past two winters and is about to bloom again.
    Hypoestes phyllostachya (Polka Dot Plant) can be outdoor in full shade or indoors in a low light window.
    The begonia can be outside in part shade (morning sun but afternoon shade in the south) and brought indoors before the first temps below 40 arrive. Or potted up and kept indoors in a part sun/mostly shade location.

purpleinopp likes this.
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Purple, toni, thank you so much!

My weekend is jammed full, but if I get any time at all I'm going to get these little guys transferred and into their own pots.

The flowers on both the rose and the begonia are looking pretty wilty at this point, the rose more so, though the leaves still seem to be very perky. If it has to wait another week before I repot them, I'm assuming it's OK to just leave them as they are, as long as they're watered?

purpleinopp likes this.
  6. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Absolutely!

I have a lot of different kind of Begonias but the tuberous kind don't seem to do well for me. But, basing that on just a few plants. Hope you have better luck with that than I have!

Here's an article from ABS about them: http://www.begonias.org/Articles/Vol47/TuberousBegonias.htm