vegetable gardens almost done

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by 2ofus, Sep 9, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

A light frost has already hit. We picked everything ready that was left in the garden. Oh, we might get a few more beans and zucchini as they weren't totally frozen but everything else is done. I'm in the process of making a small batch bread and butter pickles and also combining the last of the green beans with zucchini, tomatoes, and onions and canning them. That should finish off the garden except for the tomatoes that are in the green house. I am glad that it's over for this year. :)

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It's sort of bitter-sweet, isn't it? We have at least a month yet. I have a ton of tomatoes in the garden yet and wax and green beans. I will cover them when frost danger is here. Then I will take all the green tomatoes in to ripen in the pantry. Those I will make sauce and eat it right away. Bell peppers still coming also.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My veggie garden is winding down too. I had a great year for tomatoes, beans, onions, carrots and peas. The cucumbers did so so and the zucchini died quickly. Still have cabbage and kale growing. I am always sad when the season is over.

carolyn likes this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

It is kind of bittersweet. The frost we had was a surprise. It wasn't suppose to get that cold but our night temperatures have been getting down in the 40's the last couple of weeks. This is just one of the hazards of living at this high of altitude. We actually had 6 inches of snow one year on June the 8th. Ahh, but the summer temperatures rarely get over 85 degrees and I love that.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Frost!-- Gad, 2-Of, already??! Ach wel, I suppose that you guys are at altitude. I have been to Idaho once and liked the climate there. It was dry and clean. I liked the geography too. I visited an acquaintance in Soda Springs, and drank at a little spring coming out of the ground. It was carbonated water. I also went to a place on a gravel road and found loads and loads of fossils. An interesting place on many levels, I found.

Well, back to your posting...Will you keep anything growing in your greenhouse this winter, or is it simply too cold for that there?

It seems as though you have had a good season, all told.

7. joshpeckney

joshpeckney New Seed

Frost already? Here in Bristol the weather is just fine, but I guess we have a month or so before the climate starts to get worse for gardening. I am already thinking about the preparations for the winter months.

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Sjoerd! I can't believe it. I live in Soda Springs! The little spring is called Hooper Springs. It is a small world!
    Our winters are too long and cold to try to heat the greenhouse through the winter. We do use heat if the temperature drops during the growing season though. [/u]

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That IS amazing! Soda Springs is the ONLY place in the state that I can recall and it is because of that little well (Hooper Springs) and the fossils.

Hooper Springs....how did it get that name? I guess that it has a significance.

Yes, if you live in Soda Springs, then I can imagine that the winter temps would be waaaaay too cold to grow things in the greenhouse.

It's a small world indeed.

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Early Summer was dry and not pleasant. Then the rain came and everything began to grow. All said, I'm ready to begin the Autumn shut down. I'll be planting garlic, Tulip, Daffodil and Crocus bulbs within the next two weeks.