Very Large Beans on Vines?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Henry Johnson, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Hi, Folks;
    I've not yet learned to do photos so maybe I can be descriptive enough that someone will recognize my mystery plant. The plant is a vining bean, the vines may reach 12'+ if on something to support (trellis). The flowers are blue, shaped like almost any legume flower except quite large. The pod resembles the old heirloom english pea except for size, they are approximately twelve (12) inches in length and four (4) inches in circumference, containing 10 to 13 seeds (individual beans). The seeds are purple/dark lavender when mature & dry. I plant them as an ornamental on a tepee made with bamboo canes about 10' tall. If anyone has a clue from the foregoing verbal description, please let me know; common name or botanical, I'll do the research to chase down verification. As soon as I learn how to post pics I'll do that if name not found before.
    Thanks always.............. hank

2. Loading...

3. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

What color are the pods?

4. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

To Sharon;
    The pods are green then dry to tan, straw color; another factor/clue the pods start out flat like a lima-bean or butter-bean, then round out to more cylindrical as the bean seeds grow to maturity.
    Hank

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

My mom raised beans something like that as she picked them she laid them over her arm they were that long but for years I have looked for them and haven't found any.I can not remember the name of them.If thats them they came from Burpee's are Gurney's,Thats the only places she every ordered from.

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Are they edible beans then? I only ask as what you are describing sounds almost like a wisteria.

7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Giant Beans

To EJ, who said: Are they edible beans then?----
    I don't know about edibility/toxicity; I'm afraid to try them without knowing the answer to the toxicity question. I've handled them a lot in growing and tending them without suffering any deleterious effects, but in making that statement I remember that my lady-friend tried eating one raw when they were young/tender; her experiment was short lived because the taste was not very good. ........hank :)