Very tall (7 ft) plant, red stalks, long green leaves.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by sentivan, Aug 31, 2008.

1. sentivan

sentivan New Seed

I thought that I was planting blueberry plants. :-? Does anyone know what type of plant this is?

Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. sentivan

sentivan New Seed

I thought maybe another picture would help.

:-D

[​IMG]

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Looks like sunflowers to me.

5. sentivan

sentivan New Seed

I should probably give a little more background on the plants... My husband and I bought 1 blueberry plant at BJ's, back in March. We planted it in a big pot and it didn't do very well. It almost died, but I gave it a lot of water and some plant food and it came back. A bunch of little tiny seedlings came up around the original plant, so I thought that the plant was doing much better. After about a month or so, the plants started getting to big for the pots, so we planted them. They really took off, as you can see. The base of the stalk on some of these plants are wider then my arm. They are huge!!!

I don't think that they are sunflowers. There are no buds or anything. I looked up blueberries all over the internet and obviously, there wasn't anything that looked like these plants.

I am wondering how I am going to get rid of them if they aren't something that should be in my garden.

Can you tell that I am not really a gardener? I want to get into it really badly, but it is hard to learn about so many types of plants! LOL! Thanks again for any help!

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I can absolutely, definately say, they sure aren't blueberries, or any kind of fruit that I am aware off. However, I do think they look like sunflowers and wonder if they might be Jerusalem Artichokes. Have you tried digging one up? If they are artichokes there will be knobbly potato like 'fruits' around the roots, very nice veg.

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

It looks like weeds that my cousin an I fought yesterday trying to get to the mistreated graves of our great great great grandparents.The cemetary was vandilized and the stones were kicked down.but the tall weeds cover these up and they were not able to see them.

8. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I grow lots of varieties of sunflowers and that doesn't look like a sunflower. It is also not a blueberry bush.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I agree with EJ about them being Helianthus tuberosus, or the Jerusalem artichoike. It's no wonder that the leaves etc look a bit like sunflowers--they're in the same family.
    Having said that, the Helianthus tuberosus is neiother an artichoke nor does it come from Jerusalem. ;)
    If they indeed are Helianthus tuberosus then they will get smallish yellow flowers atop their long stems.

10. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

They do not look like like the Jerusalem artichokes that are growing in our back yard. The leaves are too long and the stalks are too thick and smooth. dooley

Odif likes this.
  11. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Looks like big tall weeds to me! he-he

12. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

It is the fact that they have come from seed which makes me doubt that they are any of the perennial Helianthus group. they rarely (in Britiain at least) set viable seed. To be honest I am wondering if they are the Impatiens 'Policeman's Helmet' thing which is infesting the place?

13. trudy

trudy In Flower

I say leave them be an see what they do. For some reason I'm leaning towards some kind of Clerodendron. If you do get a bloom post it an lets try Iding again.

14. flowerpower313

flowerpower313 Seedling

That's definitely not a sunflower. The leaves would look more heart shaped. My first thought was that the plant is Pokeweed.

15. Tyrone

Tyrone New Seed

I definitely have seen these before, and I'm pretty sure the stalk eventually turns all red. This is what my buddies mom told me, who planted them in her backyard. He said they were called "Japanese Impatience" or something like that. . . but I can't seem to find any information on them online. I was searching for their features when I found this article. . . his were about 8 ft. tall, and the red was growing up the stalks. Definitely was not the artichokes you mentioned.

16. floridagarden

floridagarden New Seed

Did you ever figure out what this is? I have one growing in my herb garden, it is very tall and very thick stalk.