Wandering Jew Leaves dieing off

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Jessasplants, May 3, 2017.

1. Jessasplants

Jessasplants New Seed

I planted a few cuttings. 6 of them. They started the grow beautifully. Then the leaves closest to the pot started turn orange pink brown and dry up an die. I asked four growers what's going on. They all say too much water or not enough water. That doesn't help. They definitely aren't under watered. I gave it some fertilizer two weeks ago. ( does this plant even need fertilizer). The leaves are still dying off. Please help so I don't lose all the leaves. The stems are healthy. It's just the leaves. But no new leaves are growing at the base of the plant.

Attached Files:

Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WJ's can take pretty much any kind of condition except too much water. Stick your finger down into the soil, your finger should stay dry until at least 2 inches down, if you find moisture higher then that, they are too wet. Repot them to let them dry out quicker...also they do break easily so just stick the broken bits in a jar of water to grow roots then plant them.
    I have them outside in pots and in the ground, shade and sun so they are not very picky. Hold off on the feeding, they really do not need it.
    Also, they do not grow new leaves at ground level, the stems grow and new leaves grow along those. They are not vining plants but do spread out and in the right conditions they can spread to about 4 feet in length. But there is too much stem between leaves so I am thinking they need a warmer location.
    You might want to put it into a separate pot and put it in a warmer area. Those look like it is too cool where they are.

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My first impression was-- "too much water", as well. Toni is right about the combination of too much water and coolness being a very strong possibility here.
    I hope that you can get a handle on your WJ's before it is too late.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
    Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I think most people don't give their houseplants enough sunlight either. the insides of our homes are not nearly bright enough to support most plants. I have no idea where you have your plant but it needs bright indirect light. no sun shining directly on the leaves but bright light.

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

They like bright, indirect light alright. I use a "rule-of-thumb" in gauging indirect light from outside in a room: One yard from the window, and the light intensity is halved...and of course the further away you get the weaker the light intensity is. It is something to think about with house-plants.
    Other factors are the facing of the window and understanding the needs of whatever plant one chooses to keep.

Good luck.

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have a lot of that stuff. But I have never had one that didn`t grow like that if inside. WJ is almost indestructible.Most of mine are in mottled shade with early morning sun. You can break off the longer stems and separate into about 4 inch lengths and root in water. Then plant in the same pot for a fuller plant. Fertilizer can actually cause this type growth as can too rich soil. It just grows too fast . It will normally shed leaves if it doesn`t have the right growing conditions.

Last edited: May 7, 2017