Was your mom a good cook?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

In a word - 'NO' - her food was absolutely awful - mashed potatoes with raw boiling type onions sliced in big chunks in it? YUCK and won't even touch the fast fried liver, boiled asparagus ....... so no family recipes ever passed down here ;)

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

Yes, my mom was a good cook. Not a fancy cook but she could make a few meager fixings taste and look like a banquet. She brought up 4 kids alone. I was 2 when my father died and had 3 older siblings. Mom worked 3 jobs to keep food on the table. No food banks and government assistance like there is now. She made the best boiled dinners, and casseroles of which contained every left over in the fridge. She made a little go a long way. Bread or rice pudding with a caramel sauce was usually the dessert. Cheaper to make but oh so tasty! I still use a lot of her recipes today. I am a retired baker/chef but still can't come up to mom's cooking.

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I had almost forgot. The only dish I actually remember mom making that I would request was Tuna Nuna (Noodle, as a kid I always said Nuna) Casserole. I should ask her if she still has her recipe for it.

2ofus, Cayuga Morning and waretrop like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Both mother and grandmother were excellent cooks as long as you liked typical southern farm food. Rarely used a mix of any kind used and a recipe was a pinch of this and spoonful of that. And thats the way I cook as well.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

My mum was a good cook to be sure; however, my gran was even better......
    Now then, here is the point where I say (loudly so my voice will carry into the livingroom) ..."but my partner is the best of all" !
    One can never have too many Brownie points, right.

6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Now that is smart thinking, Sjoerd !

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, my husband keeps telling me the bread/casserole/roast I made was "almost perfect, but you need to keep practicing."
    Do you think he's urging me on to better cooking, or getting me to make more of his favorites?

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I know the following is a bit off topic, but after my husband retired, he took over the food shopping & cooking. We now eat VERY well! He has become A "foodie", watches cooking shows, is learning the science behind cooking (what do you want, he's an engineer). He now puts me to shame.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks MART---After a while I learned one of the top subjects in the course...Relationships 101.

JANE---I know that you know that I know what you already know...and he has known for a long time. In a word Jane, you've got him twigged haven't you?
    What can I say but , "Bon appétit".

That's pretty cool, CAYU. Pretty soon you'll be adapting the same strategy as Jane's man. chortle. :D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, my husband was an engineer (quality engineer) before retiring. I let him have the run of the workshop, machinery shed, pasture and orchard mowing, but he stays well out of my kitchen! I don't try to change the oil on the truck, he doesn't try to change the brand of olive oil I use. It works.

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG....I think there are as many marital arrangements as there are couples!

marlingardener likes this.
  12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Right ! I cook,,he eats. :)

marlingardener likes this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

In the kitchen, she cooks and I wash the utensils and plates afterwards. Sometimes we cook together.

In the garden, it is divided into half and she has final say over her half and I have final say over my half....it all works out fine.

14. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

My mother had MS and I don't recall her cooking. My older sister made some fried chicken and cole slaw to kill for. She has passed as well and I've never been able to duplicate either. My mothers mother was a good cook. If you like Eastern Kentucky farm food. Chicken n Dumplins being a favorite of mine. My dads mother passed before I was born, his step-mother was the sweetest woman. She cooked for 12. My father came from a family of 15 children that lived. Her apple pie was the best I've ever tasted. None of my Aunts have ever been able to duplicate it.

Henry Johnson and marlingardener like this.
  15. majorcatfish

majorcatfish New Seed

mom forgive me, i know your watching over all of us children.. bless your heart.
    mom would serve burnt Brussel sprouts <was send to bed many times for not eating them>
    liver and onions..at least i love the onion part.
    rubber asparagus... < was not allowed to leave the table till eaten >
    thank goodness i grew up and enjoy everything now < except liver and salmon> <but do like smoked salmon> go figure...

mom did do wonderful holiday meals....always got extra jumbo olives so us kids could put them on our fingers and eat them...

waretrop likes this.