Water Skiing Baby

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Islandlife, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Just watching morning TV news. A 6 month old from South Carolina was put onto or into a water skiing apparatus (baby was standing up on 2 skis holding a handrail) and actually was taken out onto the water, pulled by a boat and so broke the record for being the youngest to water ski. I don't remember this baby's age exactly but I believe he was 6 months 9 days. I don't remember as I was basically excoriating the parents in my mind for even thinking about doing this with a 6 month old. Then the show announced the record had previously been held by a couple in Australia whose baby was 6 months and 10 days old.

Maybe my thinking is that of an old fuddy duddy but IMO this is child endangerment. I see nothing appropriate about this at all and can't believe parents would even think to do this with a 6 month old baby.

Thoughts?

stratsmom and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree. Is this for the benefit of the baby or the parents.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Have you considered that the video might have been computer altered? That has become very popular on uTube and other sites then picked up by local TV stations as fact.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  5. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

The video they showed was both in the living room with the baby standing on like a 2 ski platform and then again being pulled behind a boat on water with the baby standing up and holding on. Mom was running along the shore. Definitely looked extremely real to me and the News cast that showed it was very reputable too so I did believe all of it.

All is cool if baby remains standing and holding on but one fall or slip and jerk of the head could result in a 'shaken baby syndrome' type injury and those can be devastating.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Some parents have a definite lack of brains. It was on national TV that a mother had some guy drop her 4 year old son off a bridge that was 27 feet above the water, into a river. The child was unharmed, and the mother was in the water near him, but it was reported that there were large rocks just under water near them. It was so sad to see and hear that small child's terrified scream when he was dropped. I heard later that the Mother is in jail for child endangerment. Several people had recorded it on their cell phones.

Islandlife likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@2ofus - agreed definitely not brains and that IS child endangerment and both mom and the boy friend SHOULD be sanctioned AND forced to take classes/be educated on childhood ages and stages of development and what is appropriate and what is not.

carolyn likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I fear there is not much help for anyone that is this lacking. if they don't know it by the time they have the child/ren trying to educate them afterwards is hopeless, it seems. too many stupid parents out there (go to Walmart at 10:00 pm and see who is in the store). too bad there aren't classes required to have them as stringent as there is to adopt one.

Islandlife likes this.
  9. kate

kate In Flower

Adoption here is a very slow process as everything must be right, right down to police records and it's probably worse now. We adopted our son in 1972 and almost a year and a half to finish.

My husband had' t been in his job a year so we had a very tense wait of a year. If you are turned down by one that's it,, no more chances. We were very lucky and we knew it. The stress for the 18 months was unbelievable!

Then the wait to see if the mother wanted him back.... And the court decision..

Stupid people put their kiddies in some life threatening situations and think it's wonderful...we see them on FB. Kiddies forever having selfies forced onto them then parents wondering about the babies eyes turning.

10. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

The Adoption process is onerous, terribly terribly difficult and, as you say, every 't' has to be crossed and every 'i' dotted. The wait times can be exhausting and even after a child is placed there is the anxiety as to whether the parent will change their mind. Lots of issues around gay and older couples adopting too.

I just hate to see such silly acts by parents. Is it really an accolade that you had your BABY out there on water skis at 6 months? And what if, God forbid, there was even a slight fall? One unpredictable happening and that child suffers for the rest of their life.

I've seen a lot over the years but this even struck me as totally crazy. Somebody needs to give these parents head a good shake and some common sense driven into them.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I agree with you! This is horrible