Watering help...please

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Vincenza, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Vincenza

Vincenza New Seed

Hi everyone! As some of you know, I have a small container garden out back. It consists mostly of some various tomato plants, a few pepper plants (Dragon Cayenne and Santa Fe), some green onions, sage, mint, and a few misc. herbs. When I stepped outside today I noticed that a few (green onions especially) were starting to look rather wilted. Summer is in full swing here...it's supposed to be 98 degrees this afternoon with no rain until possibly Thursday evening and there's no shade out back until later on in the afternoons. I'm assuming that I need to water more? I know it's probably a difficult question to answer but with the temps soaring like they are here, how much watering should I be doing and how often? Thanks!

Vinnie :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our typical summer is 95-105 with no clouds and very little rain too and it started May 3rd. Some times the heat makes plant leaves sag a bit but they will perk up in the afternoon shade.....watch them for a few days to see if this is happening.
    Do you have any mulch on the top of the soil in the containers? That will help the soil retain moisture. Are the pots terracotta or a solid substance like ceramic or plastic? Terracotta wicks away moisture rapidly so they may be drying out quickly.

Before watering though, do the finger in the soil test. Stick your index finger into the soil down to the 2nd knuckle, if it's dry down that far than watering would be good, but if not then hold off.

Vincenza and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Vincenza

Vincenza New Seed

Thanks toni! Just about all of my plants are in something plastic with some mulch on top but they could probably use a bit more. I watered a little more than usual this morning and it seemed to help...the green onions perked up as well. I'll definitely keep check using the soil test you described. It's been so long since I made any attempt at gardening that I think I started to panic a little when I saw wilting leaves. I grew up in Ohio and I swear I can't remember the summers being so dang hot there...or maybe I've just gotten older and turned into a wimp! :whistling: Thanks again!

Vinnie :stew2:

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I put a beach umbrella over transplants until they adjust....not sure you want to do that though. I also "cheat" & used those water retaining crystals when I pot up container plants. Too late for that now unless you want to repot. They work well though. Reduces amount pots have to be watered significantly. At least it does in the NE.

Vincenza likes this.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I also do my veggies (mostly peppers) in containers. My problem this year has been too much moisture. I actually thought about putting up an umbrella to keep the rain off. :chuckle:
    I'd suggest just a little more watering for your's.
    And did you know that the more moisture a pepper gets, the MILDER it will be? (Or at least that's what I've always been told.)

Once all this rain stops, I will be adding some mulch to mine.
    I did add some crystals when I planted them... actually... they weren't "normal" crystals... but the "insides" of a diaper... yep... there's crystals in there! Much cheaper and works just as well.

Krystalrose and Vincenza like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Cheryl, I have thought of that! I know they are the same crystals!

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

And diapers are easier to find than those crystals made for plants.

9. Vincenza

Vincenza New Seed

Cheryl...I'd be more than happy to take some of that rain off your hands, I sure could use it! :like: We're supposed to be getting some thunderstorms here late Friday afternoon though...I'm hoping the weather guy got it right this time. :fingerscrossed:

Vinnie :stew1:

10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Vinnie.... I'd gladly send rain to anyone! I kinda miss the drought. LOL
    Cayuga... I found a couple packs of adult diapers at Goodwill... $2.00