We are off and growing

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cajuncappy, Mar 20, 2015.

1. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Well we decided to gamble this year and plant early for us. March the 8th. We are breaking our rule of do not plant before the pecan tree buds. Playing the odds cause we had a rare late frost last year we hope that the Algoreans will be right for once and we will have a warm spring. Here is our picture filled yard report for march 8th

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/2015/03/a-gardening-note-to-ourselves.html

We will let yall know how it goes.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cappy, we are planting late for us. I just got the potatoes in this morning and have planted them around Valentine's Day in the past. Our onions went in early this week--usually in by the end of January. Planted carrots mid-week, again two to three weeks later than usual.
    It hasn't been the cold weather so much as the excess of rain. We had to wait for the ground to dry out somewhat before we could even get into the gardens, much less plant.
    Anxious to see your plantings do!

4. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

We got this done right before the week of rain and so far so good. We had a winter patch and we also stick stuff in the dirt pretty much yer around. Glad you enjoyed the pictures and cant wait to see yours as well. Good luck.

5. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

Right now I'm only planting cold hardy plants. We will still get frost, most likely

Advertisement
  6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

wory not kitty you will get your turn to brag when your spring crop is going strong and mine is burning up in our summer heat.

7. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Had to cover my sugar snaps last 2 nights. Hope the end is near. Had 80* weather first part of the week then back to 50's day time and 30's at night.

8. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Good luck Donna. So far so good here.:)

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hey Cap, I liked your first post. Great photos & fun to read. Let us know about ole Mr. Pecan.

10. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Thank you so much Cayuga, it means a lot to hear that. We have been blogging for over 10 years now and comments loike that are what keep us going.

Great News!!!!
    Ole Mr. Pecan tree has budded. So I guess our two and a half week early gamble paid off. the bush beans jumped up as well as every thing else except the brussel sprouts. A kitty leaped da fence and re arranged their space:cool:

11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Congrats to Ole Mr Pecan! So when are we going to hear about the Great Epsom Salt Experiment?

12. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

LOL it is in progress too early to tell. Remember how I said I had great sucess with other peppers but never the bells???

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

So far, peas and spinach planted.
    Milkweed seeds in water jug containers.
    I'm aiming for Monarch butterfly food.

14. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

With our 5 bog citrus trees in full bloom butterflies and humming birds are well fed and the trees are literally buzzing from all the bees.

15. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I also waited for the pecan trees to bud. I don't do a veggie garden, but figured it applied to flower planting just as well. A cousin recently moved here from Calif and she was wanting to start planting her flowers back in February when we had some warm temps. I advised her to wait. And the rule I gave her was the pecan budding one! She was so tickled when I gave her the go-ahead. :)
    My pear tree and peaches have finished flowering. That silly kumquat still has fruit ripening (it's never had fruit this late before). The avocado flowered for the first time, so fingers crossed for fruit this year. Nothing yet from the orange tree. I was really hoping this would be it's year to start producing.