We have honey!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Jul 16, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our bees, despite the wet spring when they huddled in the hive and didn't go out getting nectar and honey, came through for us. We have honey! We harvested last weekend, and bottled this week. Not as much as last year, but then last year was a bumper crop, and we are quite satisfied with the 30 pounds we harvested from our two hives, leaving enough for the bees. It is darker than the fall honey, but the color, and somewhat the taste, depends on where the bees have been foraging.
    Honey.jpg

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm on my way so make sure to save some of that honey for me please!!:drool:

4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Oh that looks so good MG! I can just imagine putting large dollop of it into my breakfast oatmeal :smt053

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

That honey looks so yummy! I love honey in my tea.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super posting, MG. We had some spring honey as well this year. Ours is thick and dark. I am not sure what types of flowers my girls visited but I am noticing that it begins showing signs of sugaring after only one week.

I opened one pot and dug down into the honey. It was sort of like creamed honey--nice and smooth with no crunchable sugar crystals. Apparently the flowers delivered a nectar with a higher glucose and lower fructose content. Well, I have to say that the honey spreads so very easily this way.
    I will not sling the summer honey for another week or so. I have noticed lower production this year as well.

Those cute little jars that you use are so nice.

Henry Johnson and marlingardener like this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, thank you for the kind words. We extracted and bottled two weeks ago, and are almost sold out of honey. We won't be extracting again until fall, when we generally get the lighter colored honey. I can't tell the difference in the taste, but some folks say they can and I don't argue!
    The jars we get from a supplier, and the lid seals automatically when it is first put on. The top lifts and there is a small pouring hole, which makes the whole process of eating honey neater.

Sjoerd and Henry Johnson like this.
  8. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Good job. I have friend who does honey too. He been expanding his hives and selling quite a bit of honey. It is pretty cool watching the whole process that goes in to making honey. Nothing beat fresh local honey .

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Clay, good to hear from you! Yes, our honey (in my opinion and no one dares contradict me) is the very best! We have a limited supply, and sell out quickly, but everyone loves it and wants more. I feel guilty holding some back for cooking and baking :smt095.

10. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

marling, I've been told that eating local honey helps if you have allergies is that true ?

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Ive heard that too Clay. I think by consuming local honey you are slowing building up immunity to the exact pollens that irritate your allergies.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have heard this as well...in fact a couple of folks that get honey from me swear that it helps. I can understand the logic of it.

I am interested in the medical aspects and possibilities of natural honey (from beekeepers) and read what I come across. Having said that, I have never seen a "paper" produced on this with definitive proof that substantiates the claim. I have also not yet seen study results that disprove the claim either. I guess that the jury is still out.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Several of our customers swear that a daily tablespoon of our local honey reduces their allergy symptoms. I don't claim it or endorse the theory, but there is the "placebo effect" in that by believing their symptoms are lessened, their symptoms are lessened. Our honey certainly doesn't hurt them!
    Sjoerd, I agree that the jury is out on this--but I hope the jury is enjoying some honey!

Sjoerd and Clay_22 like this.