Weed or Grass??? That is the question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Care' started by greenleaf, Jun 3, 2012.

1. greenleaf

greenleaf New Seed

Hi all, Newbie to GardenStew where I hope to be able to ask a lot of dumb questions and hopefully help others with their concerns. I have these "clumps" or "tufts" of grass growing in my lawn and I don't know whether they are grass or weeds. They started to show up last spring but I paid no attention but this year they showed up very prominently before the rest of the lawn began to green up and fill in.
    My lawn was resodded 3 years ago and looked fine and that grass stands straight up where this stuff likes to lie down, similiar to crabgrass. I have been told that it might be course fescue or annual bluegrass??? I need other opinions. Should I just leave it there, dig it out, spray it with something, or what? The pictures show long tendrils similiar to crabgras but the grass blades are too thin. The lawn has just been cut in the photos so the tendrils are fairly short. Hope someone can help by identifying this stuff. Thanks

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from greenleaf's Garden )

[​IMG]
    unknown ( photo / image / picture from greenleaf's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. CaribooValley

CaribooValley Seedling

I'm not sure what it is, but maybe it came with the lawn seed. Can you just mow it along with the rest of your lawn?

If it is always quite a bit higher than your lawn, you could dig them out, but you'd have to get the whole root or it will just regrow.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It's a grass, but not a desirable one. You can either spot spray it with vinegar to kill it and then remove the clump, or dig it out. We have the same thing--called Dallas grass here, which isn't the botanical name but much more polite than what I call it.
    It looks as if the ends of the clump, and in the second picture the "good" grass surrounding it, is slightly chewed at the ends. Have you had your mower blades sharpened recently? Our grass looks like that when it's time to get the blades sharpened.

5. greenleaf

greenleaf New Seed

Thanks to both of you for responding. Right now, Aug.9, I can't see this stuff as it blends in with the rest of the grass. CaribooValley: yes I can mow it with the rest of lawn but if I grab a tuft it just pulls out in one bunch unlike normal grass. I tried pulling out several tufts in the early summer and reseeding the area which worked fine and I guess I will have to do that next spring/summer as this is the best time to see these clumps as they green up real quick and stand out from the rest of the grass.
    Try to keep the blades as sharp as I can, might be because of the extreme dryness we have been having so far this summer.

Advertisement
  6. BMartin9000

BMartin9000 New Seed

It's a type of grass. But anything that is undesirable in your lawn might as well be considered a weed.

Frank likes this.
  7. GreatOrganics

GreatOrganics New Seed

As the previous poster indicated, grass or not, if it's undesirable and does not look like the rest of the grass in your lawn, it's a "weed". Often the undesirables can spread quickly, so spraying them, pulling them or torching them early on is your best bet. The last thing you want to do is leave them alone. You'll just end up with more next year.