Weird! What the??? <--- Wandering Jew/Tradescantia variagation concerna

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Erika, May 23, 2015.

1. Erika

Erika New Seed

OK, let me start by giving a few details:
    This huge Wandering Jew/tradescantia I recently picked up, in the purple and green variagation (zebrina I believe), had a pretty bad infestation of some sort... I'm a new enough indoor Gardener that I couldn't even identify the actual bug... But anyways... there was bugs... many bugs... no wonder it was only 5 bucks, big and beautiful, and tucked off away by itself, in a corner... :/ Anyways, once I got it home, and discovered all the little white critters, I decided id try pretty much drowning the plant, in hopes to rid the bugs, before they discovered my other houseplants! This drowning I speak of, WORKED! The plant was quite stressed at first, but I left it outside in the hot, sunny, TN weather (not direct sun), where it dried out, and perked back up after a few days... Now the problem, is that ever since said drowning, the plants purple variagation (my fave part), has been washed out, to sort of a cloudy, pasty greenish grey color.. firm and lively, but not its normal beautiful color .. Now this is the part that REALLY confuses me: After the drowning, to rod in gestation, I took a ton of cuttings.. gave the mother plant a good haircut and fresh start, and gave myself a bunch of cuttings, in case the mother plant didn't survive the water attack... The cuttings are now in soil, rooted, with RICH, BEAUTIFUL, PURPLE AND GREEN VARIAGATION?! What!?!? Why!?!?! Why are the clippings right, and the mother plant still washed out, not appearing to have any plans for going back to her beautiful colors that attracted me in the first place!? I'm so confused! Thanks, Erika

purpleinopp likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Do you have pictures? Pictures are always very helpful in identifying problems.

purpleinopp likes this.
  4. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Sounds like it just got bleached out. Perhaps keeping it in a shadier area will help (not too much shade though or itll grow leggy).
    That happened with my Wandering Jew. It got color bleached, so I took cuttings, rooted them in another pot, threw out the rest and now I have a gorgeous plant that is quite happy in the new spot I chose for it :)

purpleinopp likes this.
  5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Yes, the color of T. zebrina is wildly variable, depending on light exposure. Tons of direct sun should produce a solid reddish, maroon color, but if put from inside to outside, burning could occur on older, existing leaves. Your mama plant should adjust & grow out of it. I usually have some issues with sunburned plants every spring, taking them from outside to inside, even though I try to avoid that.

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

You should still monitor the plants for signs of pests. Sounds like they might have been mealy bugs, or Aphids, maybe and they may be back... keep the plant away from others until you're certain it is pest free. Good luck

7. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

How are things going, Erika?