Went on vacation last week

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by TheBip, Aug 3, 2017.

1. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

The bf and I drove out to Chincoteague Island (off the coast of Virginia and Maryland)last week for their Annual Pony Swim and Auction. It's sister island, Assateague, is a National Wildlife Refuge. Assateague is divided between Maryland and Virginia, with the feral ponies on the Virginia side belonging to the Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company. Their side of the island can only support 150 horses, so they auction off the babies. Fun Fact: The Maryland side is owned by the National Park Service, and they control their herd with birth control.

http://www.chincoteague.com/

We arrived Sunday, July 23. Monday morning was the beach walk, where they drive the northern bands to the southern corral. We got up at 4am and were there by 5. You have to be there early to get a parking spot. The ponies arrived at 6:30, driven by the Saltwater Cowboys.
    DSC_0134.JPG 20170724_071247.jpg DSC_0143.JPG DSC_0145.JPG

Tuesday was a free day, so we mostly hung around town.
    Wednesday was the Swim. We got up at 4am again, and caught a shuttle bus (an old school bus!) to Memorial Park. I wanted to go to the marsh for a much better vantage point, but I knew Karl would've had a mental breakdown if his feet touched mud (he has texture issues). I was disappointed with the view, but I managed. After the swim, we walked to Main St, which was about a 1 mile walk, to watch the pony parade to the fairgrounds.

DSC_0196.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG

Thursday was the Auction. They auctioned about 70 foals this year. The ones too young to wean yet will stay with their mothers on a farm for a few more months, then the'll be shipped to their owners, or the owners can pick them up. Some of the foals are designated beforehand as Buybacks. These foals will still be bought and paid for, but they will then be sent back to Assateague to keep the herds going. The "owners" will get to name the foals and have their pictures taken with them. The foals are also freeze branded on their left hip with the last 2 digits of the year.
    We left about 2 hours in, because we were getting tired standing there. You have to claim your seat on the bleachers a few days before, which we didn't get around to doing, and we didn't feel like lugging our folding chairs all over the place. We walked around town a bit, then went to see the Misty movie. Misty is the pony who made Chincoteague famous. Google Misty of Chincoteague :)

On Friday, we spent the day at the beach, and we climbed the lighthouse. We left Saturday morning.

DSC_0221.JPG

All the rest of the pics I wanted to upload are too big :eek: :crying:

Jewell, Philip Nulty, 2ofus and 7 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks like a great week, perfect weather for a get-a-way

2ofus likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Thanks for sharing your trip with us Bip. I learned something new today :) Was the Misty movie locally made or was it in theatres?

2ofus likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Frank, the movie Misty came out in 1961. I remember seeing previews of it but never got to see it.

2ofus and Frank like this.

Advertisement
  6. kate

kate In Flower

Lovely photos bip, thanks for sharing!

:smt041:smt026

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a wonderful vacation! Lovely scenery, lovely ponies, and I especially liked your photo of the Saltwater Cowboys. Thank you for sharing a unique trip!

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jen your photographs are beautiful. I love the first one of that gorgeous sky. How I would have enjoyed being there with you when you watched the pony parades.

2ofus likes this.
  9. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Really interesting, never knew that ponies were traded this way. The light house is really tall and I'll never get up there because my legs get to wobbly too get down unless they have a elevator! Thanks for sharing :)

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super posting, Bip. I really enjoy seeing pics.
    You wrote a great commentary as well.
    Thanks for the foto's.

11. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

What a great vacay!!! Loved the photos too...the only thing missing from them was you! ;)

12. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

The lighthouse has 7 flights of stairs, with each flight being 24 steps, plus a landing. We had to stop on each landing to catch our breath haha

And here's me :D
    20623275_10100742137572859_1479556415_o.jpg

And here's my bf :D
    DSC_0171.JPG

13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a fun vacation. I really enjoyed seeing your pictures!

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jen,..great pictures and thanks for posting the information on the Ponies.

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yay!! YOU pics! <3 Thanks so much honey. You look much like your profile pic, minus the cat ;) Your BF sure looks like he's taking it easy! :D Was he actually sleeping right there in the middle of the beach?

16. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I wish I could take that vacation all over again. The islands are nice, and only a 20 minute drive to the nearest town on the mainland.
    If I lived near the ocean, Id go swimming all the time :D

I think the bf actually was taking a catnap hehe The beach we were on had 2 sides, basically. Turn to the right from the parking lot and there's lifeguards. Turn to the left, and there's no lifeguards. We went on the unattended side, and walked pretty far down, so there were no other people near us.

We both got attacked by crabs (at different times) :chuckle: We were searching for seashells in the ocean, and while sifting through the sand, we disturbed the crabs who pinched us for our troubles :eek: We also saw Mole Crabs, those are freaky lookin!

Beautiful scalloped seashells

20641962_10100742137048909_582936312_o.jpg

This is a Mole Crab. Harmless, as far as I could tell, but freaky. One time, while I was wading just at the edge of the water, the waves started going out, and I suddenly realized I was smack in the middle of an entire herd of these things! EEEK! I jumped out of there as fast as I could LOL

20629165_10100742136834339_1545213573_o.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Jewell, eileen and Frank like this.