What are your longest blooming perennials?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by 2ofus, Jan 3, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I am getting seed catalogs now and I want to add some perennials that bloom for a long time so I'm asking everyone what are the longest blooming perennials in your beds? I live in zone 4b/5a if that helps.

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The Astrantia blooms for a very long time here. I've got a white with variegated leaves, a pale pink one and a red one.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thank you, Droopy! I looked it up and they are really pretty. I am going to order one or 2 this spring as my shade garden can use extra color.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I agree with Droopy. The Astrantia's that I have bloom a long time on their own, but then I cut the bloom stems way back after their blooming is over and get a second blooming. This year I got three...in fact I have one in bloom now!
    zeeuw.jpg

Phlox blooms long for me and I do a "Chelsea chop" to prolong their blooming phase.
    Helenium autumnale is another long bloomer for me.
    Mirabilis jalapa also.
    Calamentha nepeta.
    Limnanthes
    blooms for quite a while for me, probably due to out climate here.
    Gypsophila.
    Alyssum.
    Calendula.
    Coreopsis.
    Cosmea
    Knautsia macedonica.
    Some Scabious plants.
    Lathyrus.
    Tagetes sorts.
    Nepeta sorts.
    These are long-bloomers for me here in my zone.

Honestly though, I do not plant my bloomers in that way especially. I mean to say selecting only long-bloomers. I plant in a successional way, so that when one sort finishes another one begins. This is primarily because of my bees--I want them to have something to harvest throughout the season.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    Jewell and Henry Johnson like this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Not sure if you are interested in a small shrub for your garden? Each year I am amazed at my Potentilla ... it has pretty pink blooms from mid may right through until frost. Hardy down to zone 3!
    Potentilla fruticosa (Shrubby Cinquefoil)
    A few other perennial long bloomers here in zone 5 are:
    Lady's Mantle
    Alchemilla fulgens (Lady's Mantle)
    Phlox paniculata
    Phlox paniculata (Garden Phlox, Perennial Phlox)
    Rudbeckia fulgida
    Rudbeckia fulgida (Orange Coneflower)
    I also like to plant a few favorite annuals each year to keep the color all season - Marigold, zinnia, mirabilis, salvia - all very easy to grow from seed.

Jewell likes this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Can't give you much help from down here.....even plants that are supposed to be long blooming perennials give up trying to survive in June,sometimes showing up again in October but most likely not again until the next March.

I do have good luck with Gerbera jamesonii (Gerber Daisy, Barberton Daisy), they are still in bloom as I type. They are zone 7-10 bu will handle quite a bit of cold before going dormant and will bloom as long as there is a little warmth from the sun.
    Scabiosa columbaria (Pincushion Flower) they have been blooming for me year round past few years, zones 3-8.
    Not sure how they do in your zone though.

No blooms but my Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm) is green and growing year round and is good zones 3-9.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thanks everyone! Each one of you have given me such good ideas. Astrantia, Rudbeckia, Knautsia macedonica and scabiousa will be added in the spring! The reason I asked is that I have 4 three foot deep full sun beds that aren't large enough for succession plantings. I'm also going to try the Chelsea Chop, Sjoerd.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké 2OF...great!
    Boy, there were some good suggestions from your pals on here, weren't there.
    Good luck come spring....naturally we'll all be looking forward to some piccies.

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    What a great selection everyone has given. All my favs!

You have probably already thought of these self sowing annuals, but I just had to mention calendula (sometimes a perrenial) and nasturtiums for filling up new beds of perrenials. I haven't sown seeds for these cheery color additions for years. They always add a pop of color, sometimes in unexpected ways or places.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thank you, Jewel. I wished I could grow nasturtiums but for some reason, maybe the alkaline soil, they won't grow for me. I do plant petunia's, alyssum, zinnia's, and marigolds to help keep the color going. I'm also looking at planting more foliage plants also.

12. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love the coreopsis...here it is a great rebloomer as long as you deadhead the plant. I have tall ones and the short ones. I really like the color of the small ones, it is eye catching.

[​IMG]
    Coreopsis Lil Bang Daybreak... ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

I had the scabiosa plants one time and they took over the flower bed, we no longer have sandy soil at this house but I was always scared to plant it again because of all the work to get rid of it earlier.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2016