What flower colors do you prefer??

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by PepperDude, Jul 6, 2008.

1. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Ok here's my question? If you were putting in a new flower bed what color of flowers would you use? And would you either put annuals or perennials or both? Oh and please share the plant names too!

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My favourites are white and blue, but I'm not particular about it. :D I'm planning a new border, and I want one with all sorts of colour. The special thing about it is that I want to try an all-bulbs-feature. Snowdrops, crocus, daffs, alliums, iris, fritillaria, lilies, colchicums, and whatever else bulby I've forgotten about and manage to get my hands on.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well I think just about everyone here knows that my favourites are white and blue too. However, I love splashes of bright colours as well - reds, oranges and purples. I wouldn't turn away any colour of flower though as I do love colour in my garden. :stew1:

5. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I love all shades of red and blue,,,and i love the color white when used as a break up color.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I love blue too :)
    I'm also liking yellow a lot this year. It really catches the eye. And I like to add red for the Hummingbirds. And pink.
    And Biita is right...white is great for breaking up color.
    Gee, I guess I like a lot of colors LOL

7. blackthumb

blackthumb New Seed

I like the idea of blue and white... as its quite different. But, I tend to go colorful. I like the depth of color.

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I lean towards all shades of purple (petunias, iris). But I also like red (geraniums, petunias), yellow (marigolds), coral (begonias, hibiscus). I am just naming a few that I have, but I think a purple, red and yellow mix are striking. ;)

9. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I love the colors purple and orange and pinks...I always use both annuals and perennials..it is good to use annuals so that you have color all the time from season to season...

10. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

My roses are in rose, pink, yellow and purple, but when I started my border I decided to make it a "cottage" garden. That only means all colors of old-fashioned plants. I started with a skeleton of perennials to insure blooms all summer and fall and filled in with some annuals. Of course that wasn't enough. Now I've doubled it in size. Good luck with yours. My favorite color - rose and blue, with some white.

Gardengater

11. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

purple-blue, deep yellow, intense reds. Don't much care for pale colors. Grape hyacinth, cinquefoil, love crocosmia, shasta daisies, lavender, rosemary, violets of all sorts, rose campion, purple and gold pansies, and all set off with grey-green foliage types.

12. petunia

petunia Young Pine

My fav is purple. I've put some purple into my new flower garden. But have put dianthuses also and a trumpet flower vine. These other colors break up the single color, so its o.k. with me.

13. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm with Critter Painter. I think she said it best with "Intense". I favor deep colors over pastels. I love red and yellow together or red and white. Hot pink and purples. For reds I would choose geraniums or salvia or petunias. Red & white geraniums make a beautiful bed in my opinion. Yellow and orange marigolds can't be beat and then there's the zinnias!!! With them you can have red and yellow or orange and purple or pink and white or...
    Deanna
    :-D

14. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

my fave is blue, but I like a rainbow in my agrden, makes it more interesting :D

15. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I like orange. I use perennials and annuals. I have planted Orange Emperor Tulips, Orange Lily Flowering Tulips, orange marigolds, and orange zinnias.

16. Daeze

Daeze New Seed

I love hot lips salvia and blue salvia and moonflowers.

Netty likes this.