What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Really? It is warming up here... above freezing by a degree or two and warming farther today, I heard 50 on Monday. it is still white here, but probably not for long. I will be glad to get rid of the ice. everyone who didn't salt has sheets of ice...One of our boys tried to turn around in the neighbors driveway yesterday and got stuck. his car couldn't move, just spun its wheels. will be glad for that to be gone. it has been like that here since last Sunday. stay warm.

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I did finally get the perennials cut down out front. We had gone out to breakfast, got some shopping done and the temp was around 50 when we got home so I changed into my gardening shorts and a t-shirt and got the job done. Sure felt good to be out there at last.
    Too busy for the next few days but next Wednesday the temp should be up around 70 so I will get to the backyard then.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Went to the lottie today in a super thick mist to deed birds, check the camera and cut some more dead plants down for mulching the veggie beds.
    Yesterday one of my bee hives were flying !!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. kbsrt410

kbsrt410 New Seed

I'm waiting very very impatiently to get started. We just moved into our new home this past July. I went from having a 5ftx15ft bed(portrayed in my picture) to having almost a quarter acre that i have free reign to do whatever my little gardening heart desires. The past week has been planning, and writing my planting guide.

Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Like kbsrt410, I've just been planning and plotting the spring garden. The feed store has onion sets, so I'll get some next week and put those in. I pulled out last year's garden plan and decided where to relocate potatoes (shouldn't be planted in the same spot due to nematode possibilities, although we've never had nematodes) and tomatoes. One of our large vegetable gardens will be fallow this year, so I'm trying to decide how much of what to put where in the other big garden, and the smaller ones. Decisions, decisions--a gardener's life is not an easy one!

Sjoerd and kbsrt410 like this.
  6. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Well I finally tackled a few things...finally started seeds, cleaned up the other area
    , rearranged a few things, feed and replenished nutrients and put thyme and cilantro on nutrients. I also came up with a way to use the very first grow light that I had, which is 4ft long...boy do I love pvc pipe...I made this little doo-hickey for the light from the pipe I used earlier this year...so now I have a temporary seed starter area. Just used what I had...
    Started a lot more lettuces, spinach, arugula, turnips, kale, pak choi (the tiny ones this time) and red onions. Trying any and everything. Eventually they all will move to the right (pink hue..the grow area).
    20161231_161718.jpg

20161231_162204.jpg

Attached Files:

carolyn and Sjoerd like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Looks like a good system you have there Hummerbum

hummerbum likes this.
  8. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thank you cayuga...I use things around the house!! Such a pack rat!!

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cut back more Clematis and fed the birdies. Saw a rabbit in my garden. Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Set the camera out again. Keeping an eye on the sprouts.
    Treated the bees for varroa mite.

10. Cayuga Morning

How are those renegade rabbits getting in Sjoerd?

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I went back yesterday and found yet another, subtle breech in the fence. This is now the third one. They are just biting through the fencing. It is old and will have to be replaced when the weather improves.
    I shall have to get a 50cm roll of new wire with small holes in it...so small that the rabbits cannot get their noses through the meshing to bite. They are a darned nuisance, I'll tell you that Cayu. This prob must be rectified well before the planting begins.

hummerbum likes this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

We are having the same problem at the community garden. The chicken wire has gotten old and is rusting through. It'll be a tough job to replace it. It has been dug 12" underground to prevent the burrowers from getting in. I have been patching the holes with wire as I find them.....but eventually the chicken wire will have to be replaced. So far I think the community garden folk are just hoping the problem will go away!

Is your fencing around just your lottie or around the whole compound? In other words is this your responsibility alone or that of the entire community?

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S and CM.. you could try fox or coyote urine around the perimter of the area. you buy it online or at a hunting store. see of that helps any. I know letting my dog go to the chicken yard to answer the call of nature seems to repel critters from coming to the coop or the the yard. not total elimination, but I think it helps to a degree.

14. Cayuga Morning

Thx Carolyn. Worth trying. I have heard it helps.

Sjoerd and hummerbum like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey There Cayu. The fencing is just around my lottie alone. I have dug my fencing in deeply like that as well. I shall be using this sort of metal gauze: https://www.kleinveeservice.nl/konijnengaas-nl.html
    The little square holes in the fencing are 13 x 13 mm...and the thickness of the metal is 0.8 mm, so it will do the trick.

Thanks so much for the urine suggestion, Carolyn. I have never seen that over here. I suppose that I could use my own and howl at the moon during the dark hours...whaddya think?;)

Cayuga Morning, hummerbum and carolyn like this.