What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

100_2603.JPG worked on the high tunnel getting it covered today. I need to open the next greenhouse up and start moving the starts to the next house.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
    Sjoerd likes this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Your place is so neat and tidy! You are so organized, it's amazing.
    I need to start moving some of my starts outside for a bit to start hardening off, but with the up-and-down temperatures and strong winds, I've been afraid of doing more damage than good to the starts. I don't have a high tunnel (or low one, either) so I have serious tunnel envy for yours:drool:.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

thanks Jane... neat and tidy? not really. those implements have sitting there way too long... since the fire last year. it is amazing how much junk and stuff we have accumulated in 25 years. the garden generates a lot of trash, too. Sometimes I feel like Greenacres.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, around here folks have names for their farms or ranches. The very tidiest, best cared for, and neatest ranch is named Greenacres. I think you qualify for that name.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh, that is too funny Jane. I just hear the theme song running through my head as I look around at all the things still piled up and needing attention.

6. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

My do list is never done as I scratch out things on top new things get added and it never ends. In a way its a good thing cause there is always something to do. Saturday I went back to light a fire in the ole fire pit and there was very little wood. Time to get more. I walked around the corner to check the local farmers Ag store (handy to have right around the corner) and since they are stocking up their ware houses for spring I saw a big pile of pallets. so I started hauling them home. Got 16 of them and yesterday got 12 all wacked up and stacked on the wood rack fore it rained. Gona finish them up today and go back to my never ending list. The pallets will keep us in fire wood till late spring then its drift wood season when the river goes down and leaves a pile of you yankees trees on the bank.:)

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

got the high tunnel finished and ready to rototil and plant strawberries and the next greenhouse is now cleaned and ready for Spring. yay! time to start hanging baskets.

8. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Well all the pallets are wacked up into an impressive pile I even took the last one over to the nieghbors and stacked it by their lil fire bowl they like amking fires for the grandkids

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

planted up 105 hanging baskets. 200 more to go.

10. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

As we eat up the Chinese cabbage cauliflower and such from our winter garden I am filling in the spaces with bush beans some of which are already up and growing. This should work good staggering them this way
    Cucs are a couple inches tall and beautiful. Long as we dont have a late frost we well on the way. Just in time too down to the last qt of Peggy's pickles

11. Bosque

Bosque Seedling

It was so nice out today I just had to do a little work outside. The temp was in the upper 60's & the wind was pretty moderate. I moved 2 small rosebushes. One, the poor thing has been accedently mowed down twice in the past 5 years, once by my son, and once by my hubby. It kept coming back. Such a little trooper. It's rose de recht. The other one is Don Juan. It just wasn't happy where I had planted it. I moved them both into the front flower bed by my house. They will get more water, and should be safer, lol, no one mowes or cuts down anything in my flower beds if they know what's good for em..

Kay likes this.
  12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hopefully both roses will now go on to thrive for you and produce lots of blooms. Do let us see photographs if/when they flower as we do love success stories.

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am re-doing the fenced garden out front, one of the shelf boards finally took a hike to .... hmmmm, where do old rotted boards go when they die? And I have started digging up what will become the Canna bog later. Got most of the weeding done in that north bed and the dirt from the hole I am creating will go to either some pots out front and back (5 years of compost and mulch added to the area has created some really good looking soil) and anything after that will go into the hugelkultur.
    Tomorrow we will get a fence panel to put in along the sidewalk, 14 more cinder blocks to finish off the border around said hugelkultur and some plants....I have a very long list :)

14. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

During this unusually mild weather, I have been getting a jump on the spring tidying. First job is always to take down all the numerous Sweet Autumn Clematis. This takes some time, as I have around 50 feet of it on two fences. Also trimming the Lemon Lace Vine and the Ampelopsis vines. I have been cautiously raking leaves away in the beds, but not uncovering plants completely because I think Mother Nature is giving us some more winter here this weekend. I have lots of Crocus blooming so I want to be able to see them!
    We are in the process of designing a garden shed. Trying to decide the dimensions. This will probably be my biggest endeavor this season, because when it gets built, I will need to do some hardscape around it.
    The nursery that I work at is gearing up... not quite yet folks... we will be receiving trucks full of plants in the next few weeks, and we'll be busy putting all the stock out on the grounds.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I'm not goin' to say I'm jealous...nor am I going to say that I am not---of your new tunnel. hahaha
    I will say that I am over the moon for you, and I hope that your market business will expand; however, not to the point that you and your man work yourselves to death. Please do take a little pause now and then.
    Things are looking so good there...chapeau.

carolyn likes this.