What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I picked some cucumbers, and then prepped and froze sweet corn.
    Odif, I am amazed at your energy--you and Carolyn put the rest of us to shame!

Growingpains and Odif like this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gardening weather hung around longer this year than in the past but now my seasonal hibernation has truly begun with temps around 85 at sunrise and 95-100 at sunset. And Besides that, because of the very, very warm winter we had, the mosquitoes are horrendous. I have all sorts of sprays to 'keep them off' which work on exposed skin but they are sneaky little biters and I end up with bites in some unexpected areas. I am tired of scratching and sweating all day and night so my gardening for the next 2-3 months will consist of watering when I absolutely have to and planing out the changes in the front garden to be made in the Fall.

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I sneak out early to avoid the midday heat (but not so early that I'm in the garden in my pyjamas!). This morning I came rolling in with bell peppers, loads of basil, and cherry, Roma, and Celebrity tomatoes. I'll make pesto in the cool of the kitchen, and tomorrow is marinara sauce day!
    Toni, I know what you mean about those sneaky mosquitoes--I have bites in places I'd swear they couldn't reach!

4. toni

I know and it is very embarrassing when you are in public and you just HAVE to scratch them :eek:

marlingardener likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Today I watered and weeded and mulched. I harvested some more potatoes. I also harvested courgettes and cucumbers. We are going to have a huge glut of cucumbers and courgettes. I chainsawed some firewood for someone. I prepared a bed and my wife planted beans and she helped with weeding.

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

today was baking day. I have a market again tomorrow but after I baked (12 loaves of yeast bread, 6 loaves of tropical zucchini bread and 12dzn choc. chip cookies) we picked a few beans, raspberries blueberries and strawberries, lettuce, zucchini, and the first few tomatoes... then I put out the trap for the stinkin 'coons which are decimating my chickens, I think about 10 of them this week! and I am off to bed.

Growingpains likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Are you getting a whiff of garlic? I brought in the garlic that has been drying in the barn, after trimming off the roots and taking off the outer, dirty paper. We have a basket full of garlic on the kitchen counter and my husband asked if we could have lunch in the dining room!
    I picked some more tomatoes and cucumbers. Thank heavens I have a friend stopping by later to pick up some produce and eggs. Wonder if she'd like some garlic?

8. toni

Today I will wave hello to all my plants as I walk passed them to the truck. Other than watering a couple of hanging plants that are in pots with holes in the bottom (I dump a large jar full of ice cubes on the plant so it gets watered slowly and nothing runs out the bottom) it is way too hot and miserable to be outside very long.

We have a couple of errands to run, one of the errands is getting another skein of yarn for a baby afghan I am working on for Project Linus, and then back home to watch the Xfinity race that was rain delayed until this afternoon and that will be followed by the Cup Race at 6:30. So I have a hot day and evening filled with NASCAR and knitting. Am really looking forward to it.

Growingpains likes this.
  9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Tomatoes are slow ripening in zone 5 this year. Yellow squash is doing well. Cukes just getting started. I see tiny beans.

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

had a market today. when I got home we worked in the garden again... picking up and raking rocks out of the rows between the beans. I didn't finish but I sure did get a lot picked up... like a skidsteer bucket full... whew! I was tired dusty and sweaty. Kevin picked beans while I picked rocks.

Growingpains likes this.
  11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

All I did today was pick lettuce and water potted tomato plants.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Growingpains, please, what is "water potting"? This is a new term for me.

13. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, water potting is a mistake the elderly make. LOL
    I meant watered the potted tomatoes.

marlingardener likes this.
  14. toni

I looked out the front and back windows to see if everything was still in the gardens.

Odif and Growingpains like this.
  15. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I picked several Yellow squash, froze 2 quarts.

Odif likes this.