What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Shoveling snow and made paths in the back yard today

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. razyrsharpe

razyrsharpe Seedling

marlingardener, my mother insists that we fill in the holes in the block to plant. i don't have a choice really... :D

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

shoveled another path through the snow today...

4. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Took a stroll through the yard today to take a look at all the dormant beds. The snow is almost gone, and the ground is soggy. Picked up a lot of sticks and other debris on the ground from the winds that have been gusting through. There are no signs that spring is near. Plants are asleep. More snow in the forecast. *Patience*

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks like we will see the end of February with only 1/2 inch of rain for the whole month. :rolleyes: Ground is bone dry so I have hooked up the hoses and have been watering everything.

Will finish the other front garden and do the back tomorrow.

6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Planted peas, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach today. Daffodils and crocus starting to show themselves. Going to sleep good tonight.

carolyn likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The weather was a bit dry today and the ground was beginning to dry. It was still too wet in my estimation but my bride was not to be stopped. She was determined to clean the strawbs. While I did some clipping of dead stems ands fed the birds, she went right to work and got those beds looking quite snazzy, I thought.
    [​IMG]

A little closer look at one of the beds:
    [​IMG]

You really cannot see it, but the flattened plants all have tightly clumped grow points. The leaves are on the way. First, the leaves, then the bud stems. I can hardly wait.

I went over to chat with the ladies. I stood for quite a long time leaning on one of the hives as the incarcerated babes swarmed around in circles getting to know the area. These are winter bees, some of whom were hatched late and have not yet been out of their hives...so they were making a familiarizing foray in addition to the main reason for this emergence--a sanitary flight.
    I had been watching them in their hundreds all day and when I went to take this foto in the fading light of the afternoon--they were all back inside.
    [​IMG]

Now, I am just including this crazy foto as a sort of lagniappe.
    [​IMG]

I was sitting at the kitchen table as my partner opened the door to the loggia to step out and have a puff. In flew this little beast and landed on the short list I was making of this years' spud candidates.

Well.....that would be poetic wouldn't it. Actually, the truth is a little weirder than the fiction. What really happened was that when my bride opened the door this insect was sucked into the house through a window that was open above the door.

It came to rest on the table upside down--so rigid as statue. Apparantly what happened was that it was probably hibernating while sitting on the loggia's wall and just died. It had diesd and dried out completely, and while it was brittlely stiff, it was lighter than a feather.

I looked it over than placed it on my note pad and took a pic.

Tomorrow's another day and we are off down south for a couple of days.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I shoveled another path this evening to the greenhouse to water and feed the bunnies I am keeping in there for the winter...

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I ache all over, but in a good way! Today we planted a new Italian variety of spinach, sugar and English peas, and four types of lettuces.
    We also took our tiller down the road to till up the garden of a friend. This was probably the nicest part of the day--she is a sweetheart, and we so enjoy visiting with her.
    Tomorrow more compost tossing (weather permitting) and planting carrots and the Bloomsdale Longstanding spinach.

carolyn and razyrsharpe like this.
  10. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Barely caught a glimpse of the back yard when I put out food for the dawg this morning... then a quick glimpse as I came home from work for a couple minutes and then back out the door to tend to a errand for a cousin. Dark by the time I got home. But wait! I do have a few little sprouts in my seed starting area and made sure the lights and heating pad were on and that they weren't dry. Does that count? :-D

Frank and carolyn like this.
  11. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

I cleared the dead clippings in the Office yard.
    But yesterday, I signed up for a garden box in a community garden..I am so excited..now I have to plan the gardens!!!! Many ideas swimming around in my head..they have already volunteered me for a hydroponic garden and the kids garden as project manager...my first!! Now ask me if I know what I'm doing...lol!! Well, I told them that and they said we will go through it together...
    Remind me to keep my mouth closed!!! LOL

carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Glad to see you back, Hummerbum! Congrats on the new plot to garden in... or is it really a box? like an Earthbox?

13. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I planted carrots and parsnips today. Played in the greenhouse. Helped hubby put up new awning and sat on the deck and drank wine. It was heaven and then some.

14. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thank Carolyn...
    Glad to be back...im not sure yet..its In the planning phase for the boxes..but I'll keep you up to date...thank for missing me...lol

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hummer, remember that children are short, and therefore adapted to weeding! You'll have a lot of fun with the hydroponics, and with the children.
    Please keep us posted on the community garden progress!