What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I purchased and put together a new bunny cage....put it in the greenhouse for the bunnies and am separating them by sex. They are getting mature enough to breed and this winter is so long and boring that this is the most interesting thing to contribute on here, now. You all wanted to know that, huh? Another day of frigid cold weather. I am thinking that planting peas on March 17th is not going to happen. The ground needs to thaw first.

2. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I tromped through the soggy wet mess and checked the rain gauge. Then covered up the kalanchoe bed and the calla's because we're supposed to get a light frost overnight.

3. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Not a dang thing. Just to cold.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Refilled my potting soil bin and bought a new variety of hellebore. Will get busy this weekend

Advertisement
  5. Jewell

Moved a couple of hollyhock roots up against a trellised fence (south side and back of the bed). What once was a hellebore bed shaded by large filberts will have a wider range of perennials. Hopefully hollyhocks and phlox will shade some of the more sun sensitive plants.

The phlox are slowly getting divided and moved off the edge of some beds. This is the third time I've tried to get all the roots from one spot. Since my beds are so packed it is hard to get all of one perennial without disturbing a neighboring perennial. :rolleyes:

As the perennials begin to peek out of the ground I am doing some rearranging.

6. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I had a war with the ants in my greenhouse. It smells like a bake shop now. I used a whole jar of cinnamon.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, when you said the winter was long and boring, did you mean for the bunnies of breeding age, or for you?
    I weeded again today--I am anxious to get some more seeds into the ground, but cold is predicted for the next few days. Rain is also predicted, and we are hoping that part of the forecast is accurate!

8. cherylad

Up-potted some seedlings. Painted/hung a birdhouse. Mulched some bare spots. Replaced some solar lights. Hammered in some of those fertilizer spikes for the fruit trees. Mowed my area of the back yard. Planted some onion starts. Funny story... as I was poking holes for the baby onions, a crawfish almost latched onto my finger! That's how soggy it is around here. :eek:

Jewell likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane...for me. for the bunnies, they wouldn't know what was or wasn't boredom. They were just growing up...

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Work began on exchanging soil in the greenhouse. We began clearing a bed for the new Fritillaria bulbs.

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I put down two new garden paths today. Hubby did this the last two days. And it was his idea. :-D No squirrel is going to get my tomatoes this year.

[​IMG]
    Door to no where. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    My new tomato cage. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Herb garden in front. ( photo / image / picture from Donna S's Garden )

Sjoerd, Jewell and carolyn like this.
  12. Jewell

Donna, that is "some" tomato cage! In my cool climate I'd probably wrap it in plastic to create a micro climate. Really nice garden bed.

Today I pulled up some raspberry plants. Trying to limit their spread in my garden. The neighbor took all of them to start her own raspberry patch.

Got a few more asiatic lilies, small bag of 8. Planted them around and will hope the slugs don't find them. In a couple of weeks I won't remember where I buried them and nature will take its course. If I am lucky, a bloom will surprise me, coming up with those graceful blooms in an unexpected place.

13. cherylad

Donna... better put a padlock on that door just in case the squirrels figure out how to open it. :D
    Instead of pulling lots of weeds in my succulent bed, I cheated and started to lay down cardboard and mulch. I just can't keep the weeds outta there! Then did some more cleaning along a fenceline.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nice [posting, Donna. I can't say enough about this development there.

Here, we replaced the soil in the greenhouse on a second side. Now, just one more to go.
    Further, we cut down the dead stalks and leaves from a big, decorative grass plant.

Going to a garden centre today.

15. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

WOW Donna, That is impressive!