What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

All tucked up tight for the winter, huh Carolyn?

I potted up some amaryllis bulbs I bought from Van englen's. I'll be giving them as Christmas presents.

carolyn likes this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wandered around both front and back making notes of what I need to do during the next warm spell...which might be tomorrow afternoon....but then Saturday evening will see the north pole coming down to hover over my neighborhood with below freezing (32F) temps until Monday afternoon.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Harvested more sprouts today---they just keep giving, but it is getting close to the end now,
    Fed the birds.

carolyn likes this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Like Sjoerd, we fed the wild birds and filled the watering stations. We cut the last of the broccoli, harvested the last of the lettuces, and picked a half-dozen bell peppers. We are to have a hard freeze tonight, so that is why I'm saying "the last of".
    We will have a six-week hiatus in the gardens, and then start planting the cool weather crops.

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

That one is heated. It has stuff in it already but the space is for starting seeds and I can't give up that space for this stuff and then need to move it out of that house and into the basement in Feb. too cold. The entrance is outside the basement door. geraniums and pansies are started, geraniums for cuttings are in there, lavender for Spring,,,, a few other house plants etc.

Cayuga Morning, Sjoerd and waretrop like this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

We resurrected our bird feeding pole & feeder today. In the last few years, bears have become quite active in our town....last year our chief of police figured that we had maybe 3 or 4 resident bears ambling about. (Ours is a small town). We have to delay putting up our bird feeders until the bears have all gone into hibernation. Two years running, a bear bent our steel poll to the ground to get to the seeds! We have learned our lesson: wait wait and wait some more until the snows come before feeding the poor birds!

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gad Cayu--what a surprising thing to read...a bear!.
    Glad I don't have those here.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Freezing! It was freezing outside, but I was inside freezing the broccoli and bell peppers we rescued before the cold front arrived and sent temperatures plummeting. No gardening today with temperatures in the 20's and a bit of a breeze.
    We fed the wild birds and put fresh water for them (which promptly formed a skin of ice). I'm looking for a way to keep the water open for the wild birds without using a heat mat or heat band. An extension cord running from the patio to the flower bed just doesn't seem all that safe . . . .

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cleaned up flower beds today and repaired holes in the front fence. I had two rabbits on the lottie yesterday! I was so angry. I chased them around and around...and finally they just disappeared. I have no idea where they went, or how they got out of the garden. Well, they are gone now, that's all that matters.
    It is really cold here with a moist air....Burrrrrr.
    It's days like today that I wish I had a bathtub to soak those stiff muscles.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  10. CJay

CJay In Flower

I looked at the snow covered garden and wanted to cry this morning before work. Does that count as doing something to the garden?

hummerbum and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

CJay, it counts only if the garden needed watering with your tears! I'm looking at our seasonal garden that needs to have the frost-bitten vegetable greenery removed, and the flowerbeds that still need trimming back and cleaning up.
    This is a hard time of year for gardeners--those of us with work left to do are hoping for a break in the weather, and those who are in colder and snowier climes are waiting for spring.

CJay, hummerbum and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I am one of those waiting for a convenient warmish afternoon to get perennials cut back, they look awful after the 36 hours of below freezing temps we have had and it looks like tomorrow afternoon about 3 will be a good time.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sjoerd, I have one I wish I could get to you. we remodeled the bathroom this year for K... he wanted a jacuzzi. I wish I could send to you. now I have no shower just a tub with a garden shower. grr!

been working in the greenhouse getting seeds in trays. geraniums are up and so are most of the pansies. planted petunias today.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Awwwww--Carolyn, you are an absolute angel. That would have been nice.

Look what I saw in the garden today--
    Sperwer.jpg
    Too bad the head wasn't on there.

15. Cayuga Morning

We shoveled a path to the bird feeder and also a path to the compost bin. Now we are ready to be socked in with snow!

Sjoerd likes this.