What I am doing wrong? Lavender.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by SadSunday, Aug 5, 2017.

1. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Hello, Stewies. I am trying to grow some lavender in the pot (the seeds are bought in the gardening shop, but I still don't expect much). And every time I get the same - the plants gets to about 10 cm, and the base of plant just start to turn brown, to dry off and the whole little and frail plant dies. Any ideas? :/

http://i.imgur.com/htpiY3y.jpg

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I believe that the plantlets were kept a bit too moist. You did not mention what sort of soil you had them but I can tell you that they like poor, very well-drained soils....perhaps with a tiny bit of lime mixed through.

Don't give up though, just keep plugging away til you get it right....and you will get it right eventually.
    I have had my probs with lavender, I know that it can be a difficult plant for some people.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lavender is native to the Mediterranean area of the world where they get little rain and lots of sun. They do grow well in areas of Texas because of those same weather conditions.;)

Do not water them like you would other plants, keep the soil on the dry side and make sure the pot has good drainage like Sjoerd mentioned. And they do not like cool/cold drafty areas either.

5. SadSunday

SadSunday Seedling

Thank you both, I will try again. Fingers crossed. Just most of the time they seem to be doing well, when suddenly, everything turns bad :/

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

The lavender I had growing in pots got way too much moisture this past winter and I decided to toss them. On the other hand the lavender I have growing in the garden beds did get the same long cold wet winter but I think the excess moisture was able to drain away because the beds are raised hence they're doing very well.

Sjoerd likes this.