What is making these tiny holes in the leaves of my plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Tina, May 23, 2011.

1. Tina

Tina Young Pine

My Gladioli - which has a bud but I am not sure it will bloom given the state of the plant.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Tina's Garden )

My Hollyhocks

[​IMG]

and my daylilies

[​IMG]

[/img]

2. Loading...

3. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

Earwigs aka garden roaches!!

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would guess slugs or snails. I have had similar presentations and actually caught some snails AND some slugs in the act one evening late. It was a scary sight--one little patch was literally crawling with the little beasts.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

the hollyhocks are very susceptible to flea beetles. They are very tiny beetles, hopping quickly like a flea. they are hard to see because they move so fast. the damage on your leaves looks like they have been there.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

For your Hollyhocks and Lily's I would give the credit to snails, slugs and earwigs. The Iris, however, with those brown streaks down the leaf, I am wondering it that is damage from the Iris borer.

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

There are so many things that can cause this type of damage I'm afraid. In my garden it tends to be earwigs out front and snails and slugs on my land at the back of the cottage. I hope you can find out what is doing it to your plants and can eradicate whatever it is before they destroy everything.

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

For the slugs, snails and earwigs you can sprinkle diatomecious earth around and on your plants for effective control and no pesticides. Copper makes and excellent barrier also. I have heard of using old copper water line or even real copper pennies around your beds. You can buy copper strips to pin down around your plants. I imagine that can get kind of pricey though.

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Looks like you are in for some night time detective work. Bring along a good flashlight. Several visits over a few nights may account for the hungry hoard. I am a bit surprised at the daylily damage as they are not susceptible to too many garden pests. The snails and slugs, if you find them, would like a beer party with a dish of beer. You will find them head down in the stuff come morning.

Jerry

10. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

If it's earwigs, you can mix molasses with some water and vegetable oil and put it in shallow containers in the areas where there is damage. In the morning you can empty them out into the trash.
    Also, during the day, look under rocks or wood or logs or your garden border. They hide under these during the daylight hours. Be ready though because they scatter fast when uncovered.
    dooley

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

My hollyhocks looked exactly like that. I sprinkled Sevin at the base of each plant. I know it's not organic but I was desperate!