What is Pho?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Nov 10, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I don't even know how to pronounce "pho" properly, but I keep seeing it mentioned on restaurant reviews. It may be something for a light lunch, but I don't know what it is nor how to prepare it. Any help?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of broth, linguine-shaped rice noodles called bánh ph?, a few herbs and meat - usually either beef or chicken. We had it when we were in London a few years ago and it was lovely.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup. We have a large Asian population here and the restaurants are very popular. Do a google search for Pho recipes and you will find lots of ideas for making it.

5. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Pronounced "Phah" for all of its spelling.

Udon is the Japanese model, The name of Chinese version escapes me.

Its all good.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

It is yummy. The soup is made from beef bones boiled for a very long period of time and the beef are very thinly sliced and cooked by just the hot soup in the bowl. If you haven't tried it, I strongly recommend that you must! YUM!

It is a very popular Vietnamese street food and I'm sure you can pronounced "pho" once you tried it!

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

From the descriptions of pho, I think I need to try making some! Would it be possible to make pho using chicken bones, and perhaps shredding the chicken to add to the boiling hot broth?

8. toni

Chicken broth Pho is served in most Pho cafes around here along with beef. Slow cook the bones in water with onions and a bay leaf for several hours, strain it and add noodles, veggies, sprouts, greens and herbs also of your choice and cooked, shredded chicken.
    This sounds a lot like the homemade chicken soup most of us ate as kids.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, I don't know where your mama learned to cook, but the only "sprouts" my mama knew about were her three daughters, and "herbs" were the little sprigs of parsley around the Thanksgiving turkey (and she felt pretty adventurous about that). I'll try the chicken pho first simply because I have chicken backs, wings, and necks on hand in the freezer (purchased at the grocery, not from any chickens we know!). Thanks for the information.

10. toni

Chicken soup came from a can labeled Campbells when I was growing up but the Mom of my best friend back then was a really good cook and made it from scratch. No sprouts either, other than the kids, sprouts were what happened when you left the beans soaking in water too long before cooking them and those got thrown away. My Mom always had a can of Oregano in the cabinet, my dad liked to sprinkle it on the pizza Mom made that came in kit form in a box....Chef Boyardee was very popular in our house.

marlingardener likes this.
  11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Just a follow-up, I have made Pho and we both loved it! I don't know how authentic it was, and I'll order some as soon as I find a Vietnamese restaurant, but the chicken pho was goooooddddd!!! I couldn't find rice noodles, so I substituted linguini, and I grew my own sprouts. Herbs of course we had on hand.
    My husband looked askance at the "greenery" floating in his soup, but he's a brave soul and tried it, then slurped down a bowl and asked for more. Thank you all for your help--my culinary repertoire has just been expanded!

KK Ng, Henry Johnson and leafylady like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KK, I made beef pho after I cadged a bunch of beef bones from a rancher friend that had a steer butchered, and I think I hit it! My pho might not pass the taste test of an experienced pho fanatic, but we enjoyed it immensely. Now I have a stash of beef bones in the freezer to make more pho when the mood hits us!

Henry Johnson likes this.