What is this long vine with prickly hairs along the stem?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by daisybeans, Jul 18, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

This came in a pot with a strawberry plant and is taking over. It has grown very, very fast in long runners (up to 4 feet already) that want to scramble everywhere. It has not gotten any flowers. It has not tried to root plantlets. It has stiff prickly hairs all along the stems. Initially, my neighbor and I thought maybe a rasberry or some sort of berry but now I am thinking that anything that grows this fast is too invasive for my yard. Before I pull it out, I thought I'd check... Thanks, everyone.

[​IMG]
    mystery vine leaf. ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

[​IMG]
    mystery vine with long runners ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

YIKES!! :eek:

4. Papa2mykids

Papa2mykids Seedling

Some what resembles some kind of hops vine.

Especially the description

Ron

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Yikes is what I'm saying too, Deanna...

Papa2 -- I believe you are right about it being a hops vine (or bine, as the case may be). I found a couple of varieties with similar shaped leaves, and you're right -- the description of the growth pattern and the prckly hairs fits. From what I read, a hops "bine" can grow up to a foot A DAY!!! up to 20 - 50 feet in a season... needs a sturdy structure, etc. So... I don't have that kind of space and I don't need another fast growing vine around here. I hate getting rid of a healthy plant but this one has to go. Maybe my neighbor will take it. He has more room and likes to make home made beer, wine, etc. He's always trying something.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Happy to report that neighbor is going to take the Hops Bine and he is tickled to have it, as I thought he would be. Something new for him to try. Yay!

7. camphill

camphill New Seed

I hope someone will come up with the name of this plant quickly-- it is very invasive and has caused a rash-- perhaps from teh prickly hairy stems, etc, on someone trying to pull it out.